The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Fruit flies??? Maybe???

This is a discussion on Fruit flies??? Maybe??? within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; Since we got our Salamanders (yellow spotted and a red back) it seems that we also have an infestation of ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th October 2004   #1 (permalink)
s.

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Since we got our Salamanders (yellow spotted and a red back) it seems that we also have an infestation of fruit flies (or something that is small and irritating). My question to you is...what can I do to get rid of these without hurting the salamanders? there must be something non-toxic i can use as they are starting to become quite a problem in my otherwise BUG FREE house...LOL

Old 26th October 2004   #2 (permalink)
george

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I'm curious as to where do fruit flies come from? I have some in my tiger sals tank as of lately as well, and I had a huge infestation of them in my emperor scorpion tank before. Are they harmful?

Old 26th October 2004   #3 (permalink)
s.

Gallery Images:
Comments:

probably not harmful but really really irritating...LOL. i want to be rid of them but i want to make sure that i do it safely so that nothing is harmed. I think they come from the fact that the soil is moist, just a regular breeding ground for them.

Old 26th October 2004   #4 (permalink)
alan

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Most likely fungus gnats (Sciarid flies). There are biological controls commercially available, but the simplest solution is to keep the substrate on the dry side.

Old 26th October 2004   #5 (permalink)
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

The only way I've found to manage them is to completely change the substrate. Or just ignore them.

Old 27th October 2004   #6 (permalink)
edward

Gallery Images:
Comments:

If the substrate is moist it is usually fungus gnats but if the substrate is dry then you may have phorid flies. These look like fruit flies and run in short bursts. The best way to eliminate these is to keep the area clean (remove dead cricket bodies, etc).

Ed

Old 29th October 2004   #7 (permalink)
jesse

Gallery Images:
Comments:

well, wheni used to have small plethodontids the fungus mite were a very easy and free source of food for these guys, they would snap them up. same goes for the newly morphed cynops. so id have to say that they are not that bad.

Tags
flies, fruit

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 3 (Set)

rawin28, Risigan, whiteblaze11
LinkBack