The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Two Lined Salamander

This is a discussion on Two Lined Salamander within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; Where I live we have a lot of Northern Two Lines and I'm thinking of catching one. I'm just wondering ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th July 2005   #1 (permalink)
jj

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Where I live we have a lot of Northern Two Lines and I'm thinking of catching one. I'm just wondering what they eat.

Old 9th July 2005   #2 (permalink)
ira

Gallery Images:
Comments:

anything small and crawly they can fit in their mouths. Earthworms, woodlice, pillbugs, slugs, etc etc.

Old 9th July 2005   #3 (permalink)
paris

Gallery Images:
Comments:

ive got a colony that is in its f2 generation, they eat like little horses and eat just about anything they can choke down-mine i give also crickets,fruit flies and black worms on top of what ira suggests.

Old 9th July 2005   #4 (permalink)
jj

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Yeah. Ok. I caught one and it died because I couldn't feed it. Do you think he'll last long if I feed him small earthworms and crickets? I was thinksing maybe mosquito larva (there are also a lot of those) or microworms.

Old 9th July 2005   #5 (permalink)
jj

Gallery Images:
Comments:

O yeah and I didnt have a colony. I had one that I found. Me and my firend searched for hours and he was the only one around. Could he have died becasue of that? And maybe I can get some eggs during breeding season (Not all of them of course)

Old 9th July 2005   #6 (permalink)
paris

Gallery Images:
Comments:

they are difficult to keep if you cannot meet their basic needs, they need tight fitting lids, cool temps, small enough live food and a damp substrate with cover objects-preferrably with a water section. if you have the basics they are fairly easy-remember they can easily climb glass. earthworms would have to be cut up into small enough pieces that still wiggle but can fit down their mouths.

Old 9th July 2005   #7 (permalink)
paris

Gallery Images:
Comments:

check out these old posts of mine for more info
http://www.caudata.org/forum/message...tml?1091617847
http://www.caudata.org/forum/message...tml?1096941919

Old 9th July 2005   #8 (permalink)
jj

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Thanks. I had there basic needs. Altho it wasn't cool I kept the temperary setup (A small maybe 8 inch long plastic thing I had that I think was made for bugs) outside in a similiar tempature to where I found him. I was going to set-up a 10 gallon when he died. I cut a regular worm up into a small peice but he didn't eat it.

Old 9th July 2005   #9 (permalink)
jj

Gallery Images:
Comments:

How bout redworms or mealworms. Superorms or waxworms. Also can I feed them commercial sala food. Moaquito larva? Pill bugs are fine since I see thm all the time. How about whiteworms. Spiders? Centipedes? How about ants?

Old 9th July 2005   #10 (permalink)
jj

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Now I ahve a question. Can I mix Two Lines with soome local frogs or tadpoles. Will they eat them? If they eat the tadpoles I'll feed them that

Old 10th July 2005   #11 (permalink)
jj

Gallery Images:
Comments:

anyone?

Old 10th July 2005   #12 (permalink)
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Most sals will not eat ants. Any live food small enough for them should be fine, but worms are the best, in my opinion.

No, do not mix them unless you are willing to accept some of them eating others.

Old 11th July 2005   #13 (permalink)
john

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Two lines would almost certainly not eat tadpoles. Only toad tadpoles might be small enough and i suspect those would make them quite sick. Be careful of mixing with any other species, some frogs (not just toads) have toxic secretions that can kill tankmates, the pickerel frog is a prime example. It sounds like the one you captured probably died of stress or overheating. If you find another, make sure NOT to put the temporary enclosure outside since it might have possibly gotten some direct sun during the day when you didn't expect it to. I keep mine in a 10 gal aquarium with several rocks and large bed of moss. I mist it every other day or so. All of mine are kept in the basement. I feed my two lines mostly fruit flies and they will quickly devour what i put in. wingless fruit flies are fairly cheap to obtain and are extremely easy to culture on your own and i would highly recommend them as a staple food source. You can freely supplement with things you find outside. All in all, this is the easiest species i've ever kept.

Old 11th July 2005   #14 (permalink)
jj

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Thanks. How about mosquito larva? I have that living in my cousin/neighbors blow-up pool. Thanks. Can I use flourescent light if I use it in the basement? I want to grow things in the tank. I'm pretty sure he died because my friend took it for the night so his dad could identify it. He said he thought it was a two-lined but he wasn't sure. Well there I'm pretty sure he had bad water. He used tap water going through that bottle filter. Plus we had a peice of worm in the enclosure and he didn't eat it. Maybe we just got a bad one.

Old 11th July 2005   #15 (permalink)
john

Gallery Images:
Comments:

How much water was it being kept in? While two-lines are brook sals, they don't really need very deep water. They'd probably eat mosquito larvae even though they'd rarely encounter them in their native habitat. I've noted that this species is very visual in it's hunting habits. If the food doesn't move they don't seem to recognize it. I've watched them stare at fruit flies that were just sitting there, trying to decide if it really was food or not. In the end, they wind up ignoring them and finding something that is moving. If you want plants, i'd suggest pothos because they require little extra lighting.

(Message edited by stormcrow73 on July 11, 2005)

Old 11th July 2005   #16 (permalink)
jj

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I have a flourescent light if you need to use it. Where I found him mosquito larva was all over. Oh yeah it was about an i of water The nwe enclosure will be about 6 inches. Its gonna be a ten gallon and i'll use a Duetta Multifilter. But I recently just got a puppy so I'll have to wait till the dog gets all his shots for me to get some salamanders

(Message edited by mop on July 11, 2005)

Tags
lined, salamander

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 4 (Set)

EasternNewtLove, FredLikesNewts, Julian E, XDragonGrlX
LinkBack