The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Can newts tolerate current from internal filters?

This is a discussion on Can newts tolerate current from internal filters? within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; I'm not sure which route to go in filtration for my fire-belly newt tank. I see conflicting information on the ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th May 2005   #1 (permalink)
george

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I'm not sure which route to go in filtration for my fire-belly newt tank. I see conflicting information on the internet. Some say do not use an internal power filter (I plan to use the tetra internal filter), since fire-bellies and other mostly aquatic newts will be stressed by the current. Should I use a simple sponge filter instead? They don't seem as effect as internal power filters though. Which filtration is best for FBN's and other mainly aquatic newts? Thanks.

Old 8th May 2005   #2 (permalink)
james

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I have used an internal power filter with no problems. Just make sure that there are places that the newt can go where there is no / little current. Usually a lot of plants will slow the current making the newts happier.

There are some internal powerheads which are adjustable. In my one tank I run one of these on the lowest setting. It seems to do the job and the current only affects a small part of the tank.

I would, however, recommend an airlift undergravel filter along with an airlift external filter. The combination keeps the tank clean with very little current.

Old 8th May 2005   #3 (permalink)
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Any of the filters mentioned will do fine: submersible, sponge filter, or undergravel. You may have already seen this, but here's an article that discusses the pros and cons of each:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/filters.shtml
One thing to consider is heat: a bubble-driven sponge filter will produce the least amount of heat. For many people, keeping newts cool enough in summer is a challenge.

Old 9th May 2005   #4 (permalink)
joeri

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I have a heavy planted tank with no filter at all for my fire bellies. The more plants you have, the lesser the need for a filter. Just remember to remove food leftovers instantly.

Tags
current, filters, internal, newts, tolerate

(View-All Members who have read this thread since 19th January 2018, 11:38 (Set) (Clear)

There are no names to display.
LinkBack