The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Photo - mystery bloat-like condition - any suggestions?

This is a discussion on Photo - mystery bloat-like condition - any suggestions? within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; Here is a picture of my grossly fat eastern newt: She is 20+ years old (which seems to be unusually ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Aneides
  • 4 Post By Kaysie
  • 1 Post By FX1C

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th October 2002   #1 (permalink)
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Here is a picture of my grossly fat eastern newt:
Click the image to open in full size.

She is 20+ years old (which seems to be unusually old for an eastern newt). Her "fatness" has developed slowly, over a period of about 2 years, beginning in fall/winter of 2000. It began with her looking gravid, then she just kept getting bigger, very gradually. Until the past few months, her apetite was good. Now she is hardly eating at all, and she has reached the point where I think she is doomed.

This is not "bloat" that we ordinarily hear about. Notice that her neck isn't swollen, only the abdomen. Any suggestions for cause or treatment?

Old 25th October 2002   #2 (permalink)
nate

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hi Jenn, I have no idea what that condition is...but there's a N. v. louisianensis female on exhibit at my local Nature Center which looks exactly the same. I've been watching her off and on for about 5 years, seeing if she'd die, but she doesn't. I seriously doubt it's fat, but should she die, PLEASE do an autopsy and see what the mass is.

Old 26th October 2002   #3 (permalink)
john

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I'd bet on a heart condition causing fluid build up. Allegedly it's quite common in old Caudata, but we don't see many of those now do we.

I don't think there's much you can do for her, I'm afraid.

Old 6th November 2002   #4 (permalink)
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Follow-up on the poor old fat newt. She developed problems swimming (struggling to get to the top to breathe), and clearly her condition had worsened in the past few weeks. I decided to euthanize her (5% ethyl alcohol). A local biologist dissected her for me. She was full of clear fluid. No eggs. Fairly large fat bodies in the abdomen, even though she ate almost nothing for several months. So, most likely it was organ failure of some kind, though we didn't know newt anatomy well enough to be able to see anything wrong.

Old 6th November 2002   #5 (permalink)
john

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Sorry to hear about your loss Jenn.

Old 7th November 2002   #6 (permalink)
kai

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hi Jenn,

I'd guess at some kidney/osmoregulation problems (mere speculation). 20+ years is certainly more than she was likely to reach in nature though.

Best wishes,
kai

Old 19th January 2013   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Aneides has started on the right path
Default Re: Photo - mystery bloat-like condition - any suggestions?

Although I'm sure you are very sad, you did the right thing.

Aneides

Old 19th January 2013   #8 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11
Default Re: Photo - mystery bloat-like condition - any suggestions?

This thread is 11 years old. How did you even find it? Let alone respond...

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2013   #9 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: FX1C is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgFX1C is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgFX1C is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgFX1C is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgFX1C is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaysie View Post
This thread is 11 years old. How did you even find it? Let alone respond...
lol

<3 >o_o< <3

FX1C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bloatlike, condition, mystery, photo, suggestions

(View-All Members who have read this thread since 26th November 2017, 18:51 (Set) (Clear)

There are no names to display.
LinkBack