The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

HELP!!! newt MISSING LIMB

This is a discussion on HELP!!! newt MISSING LIMB within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; i have had 2 newts(c. orientalis- chinese firebelly) for years in a 10 gallon tank. i recently(1week) purchased 2 more ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th October 2003   #1 (permalink)
melinda

Gallery Images:
Comments:

i have had 2 newts(c. orientalis- chinese firebelly) for years in a 10 gallon tank. i recently(1week) purchased 2 more at a petland...i noticed one of the newts had a front toe that seemed to be rotting off. it did not seem to be getting anyworse. THEN, after being away from my newts for less 24 hours, the new newt i thought was healthy was dead and swollen at the mouth and the one with teh rotting toe has his entire front limb had completely disappeared. It looks like there is a white film over it. what do i do? help? please

Old 9th October 2003   #2 (permalink)
pin-pin

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Melinda, I'm not an expert, but it sounds very bad! I saw posts on situations like this very recently--just search for 'white film' and 'missing limb.'

Also note:

http://www.caudata.org/caudatecentra...les/sores.html

And separate those new newts from your other newts!

Old 9th October 2003   #3 (permalink)
melinda

Gallery Images:
Comments:

thnks. i saw that article, i was hoping someone had something encouraging to say or maybe a tip or hint.

Old 10th October 2003   #4 (permalink)
rancidevilpingu

Gallery Images:
Comments:

my 1 of my first newts died of that. its legs seemed to rot. the poor thing died days later

Old 13th October 2003   #5 (permalink)
brian

Gallery Images:
Comments:

the best solution is to put a sprinkling of the powder found in spectogram (aquatronics fish medicine) enough to season the water. It should turn to a yellow color. This should solve the bacterial problems and stop the disease. One of mine lost a leg to this, but it since has regenerated and he has small fingers growing (about 6 months time) any other questions, brianjolney@hotmail.com

Old 15th October 2003   #6 (permalink)
hannah

Gallery Images:
Comments:

hi, my name is hannah. i bought a chinese fire bellied newt 2 days ago. it was in a tank with crabs and it appeared the crabs had eaten his fore limb so i bought him to save him. the wound has a white spot that i thought was bone but now i`m worried cos he spends most of his time on the rocks. this is my first time buying one. please help i`m worried. Click the image to open in full size.

Old 16th October 2003   #7 (permalink)
hannah

Gallery Images:
Comments:

hi this is hannah. my newt diedClick the image to open in full size.. i`m guttedClick the image to open in full size.. his other arm was really swollen. please email me if u have any tips for when i get more newts on hanna_ho_brien@hotmail.com

Tags
limb, missing, newt

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 9 (Set)

eFaN, Fig, Jgoofypiranha, kSimp, Melanie, Orvilleberta, ReptileRy, xtinana, zyoung
LinkBack