The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Recommendations for filter??

This is a discussion on Recommendations for filter?? within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; I currently have a Fluval-1 filter in my tank for my 2 eastern newts. It's a 10 gallon tank that's ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th February 2006   #1 (permalink)
karen

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I currently have a Fluval-1 filter in my tank for my 2 eastern newts. It's a 10 gallon tank that's filled half-way with water. I think it's a great filter, but I believe the current it produces is too strong for my newts. There's no adjustment valve on the output and I've tried moving the filter to different positions but I think my newts are stressed from it, which has contributed to some odd behavior on their part. Can anyone recommend a good filter for such a small volume of water? I'd prefer it not give off too much heat either, as to not raise the water temperature. Thanks for any input.

Old 5th February 2006   #2 (permalink)
mark

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Karen, I would recommend a Duetto-50. It has an adjustable water flow and is smaller than your Fluval-1. I've use them and they are very reliable.

Old 5th February 2006   #3 (permalink)
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I agree with Mark's recommendation - the Duetto-50 has the lowest flow rate and lowest wattage (heat) of any submersible. If you are willing to tolerate the noise of an air pump, you could also consider switching to a bubble-driven filter, which won't produce any heat at all. Two easterns in a 10-gallon tank don't really need much filtration at all.
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/filters.shtml

Tags
filter, recommendations

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 4 (Set)

jbaker8484, JoshBA, KittenLatte, roobot5000
LinkBack