The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Feeding time

This is a discussion on Feeding time within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; i feed my fire salamander earth worms and was wondering if that is ok and how many i would need ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th May 2006   #1 (permalink)
lauren

Gallery Images:
Comments:

i feed my fire salamander earth worms and was wondering if that is ok and how many i would need 2 feed him?can anyone give me advice on feeding time?}}

Old 13th May 2006   #2 (permalink)
christopher

Gallery Images:
Comments:

hi,
well earth worms are fine to feed them but I wouldnt prefer feeding them the whole worm cause it can get pretty hard for them cause when I feed my newt whole worms the worm would always end up crawling back out of the mouth but it would be fine if you cut them up.....you should also feed them at least 3 of the cut up worms (try to cut the worms into inch halves)
.................well I hope I answered your question GoOd LuCkClick the image to open in full size.

Old 13th May 2006   #3 (permalink)
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

It really depends on how old and how large the sal is (and how large the worms are!). For a juvenile, I would say every day as much as it wants. For an adult, every 2-3 days, as much as it wants. For an obese adult, less than it wants! For just one sal, I don't think you'll need more than one worm per feeding, unless the worms are small or the sal is really big.

Old 14th May 2006   #4 (permalink)
joan

Gallery Images:
Comments:

My juvenile fire sals (about 5 inches long) get about an inch to two inches of earthworm every other day. They are growing well and putting on weight.

Old 14th May 2006   #5 (permalink)
andy

Gallery Images:
Comments:

There is nothing wrong with feeding whole worms to your animals as long as they're suitably sized....it's fine to cut them up however if you need too.

Tags
feeding, time

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 1 (Set)

There are no names to display.
LinkBack