The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Help!

This is a discussion on Help! within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; as of yesterday, i became the proud owner of three handicapped salamanders (my friends' kids caught them and put them ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th May 2006   #1 (permalink)
becky

Gallery Images:
Comments:

as of yesterday, i became the proud owner of three handicapped salamanders (my friends' kids caught them and put them in the tank with their turtles, and the turtles ate their front legs off). i believe they are eastern newts (they look exactly like the picture in the "i found him at work...what is he?" thread), but im not sure what i should be doing with them. right now they are in a container that has a medium sized bowl of water and some moss around it - do they need more water? and how much space do they need? also, will their legs grow back, or are they handicapped for life? please help...i don't want to kill them!

Old 10th May 2006   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: ali has started on the right path

Becky, I don't keep this particular species, but I will give you some information to tide you over until you recieve more advice.

Newts can regenerate limbs, but it's important that you keep them in a very clean environment while they are in this process. Normally, adults of this species are aquatic but need a few places to rest out of the water. If I were you, I would put your handicapped newts in shallow water (since I suppose they can't swim very well) with a few things that they could climb onto to get out.

Maybe like two or three inches of water with a rock in the middle? Some plants might be easy for them to rest on too. I good hardy, and widely found plant is Pothos. I just got some at Wal-mart the other day. It will grow in water fine, just wash the dirt off. I would recommend feeding these guys chopped earthworms. (You should be able to get those at Wal-mart too.)

What size container do you have them in right now? I would recommend at least a ten gallon tank for three, but a 20 long would be great. Also, if you don't already know, be advised that you need a secure lid. I doubt salamanders with no front legs would be good at escaping, but sometimes newts and salamanders do amazing things, so you never know.

ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2006   #3 (permalink)
christopher

Gallery Images:
Comments:

well,
that truely is a sad story 'cause I once had a similar experience in my early caudat days and It wasnt pretty, I walked in the room and 2 baby turtles had my trachia granulsa under water and they nearly chewed of his back legs and tail!!!!
luckily I gave the turtles away and I nurtured the poor newt back to health but she is no longer with us....she Click the image to open in full size.a year later..Click the image to open in full size....but one thing I have to say is watch out for mold on open soars..
well good luck...Click the image to open in full size.

Old 12th May 2006   #4 (permalink)
becky

Gallery Images:
Comments:

thanks so much for all your help! i just have a couple more questions. is there any way to tell if they are eating? it seems like the food i put in there just kind of floats around. also, how long will it take for their legs to grow back? and how do i know if they are sick or infected? is there anything i can do if they are? i really appreciate all your help.

Old 12th May 2006   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: ali has started on the right path

Hi Becky. Like I said the best thing you can do is keep the tank as sterile as possible. Remove poop and uneaten food ASAP. What are you feeding them? I would recommend chopped earthworms.

(If you're hoping they'll eat "newt pellets," you may be up for a serious letdown.)

ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2006   #6 (permalink)
joan

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Have you read this link yet? http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/No...idescens.shtml It should get you started on the right track.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 0 (Set)

There are no names to display.
LinkBack