The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Semi aquatic salamanders?

This is a discussion on Semi aquatic salamanders? within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; Looking for information on a semi aquatic salamander that would make a good pet for 11 year old?...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st August 2006   #1 (permalink)
alison

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Looking for information on a semi aquatic salamander that would make a good pet for 11 year old?

Old 31st August 2006   #2 (permalink)
john

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I am new here so take my opinion as just that. My kids have been keeping California Newts since they were very small. It started off as a small tank for their room for fun but has become something they really care for. They may be more aquatic than you like as the adults leave the water only for short periods of time. I have also not seen them in many of the shops lately but I believe they can be ordered. They don't mind being handled during cleaning and I have several that are close to 10 years old. The do produce a lot of nitrate though and need regular maintainance. I keep the tank planted with fern and pathos directly in the water to keep nutrients in check but the nitrate still rises regularly.

Old 31st August 2006   #3 (permalink)
joan

Gallery Images:
Comments:

The only issue with Taricha is that they are VERY toxic, and should not be handled by children or not-that-smart adults.

On that note, if you think your 11 year old is responsible enough to not poison themselves, then they make great pets. I adore mine.

Old 31st August 2006   #4 (permalink)
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Is the 11-year old really intent upon a salamander? The reasons I ask are (1) there are other herp pets that are more kid-friendly, able to be handled, or easier to care for, and (2) consider that all the newts sold in shops are wild-caught, which isn't the greatest lesson in wildlife conservation.

Old 31st August 2006   #5 (permalink)
john

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I did neglect to mention the toxicity issue. Though common sense, it bears mentioning that hands should be washed after handling any reptile, amphibian etc.

Tags
aquatic, salamanders, semi

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 23 (Set)

AdvythAF, asw864, azeam, Coldnorthtoy, coolkraitcalvin, demonss, DiscoJaguar, Graeme, heavysleaze, kevinm117, megpie021, MichaelJMcLeroy, MnGuy, mwillecoevo, njd12, Rageliss, RandomUser, Rivethead, skiblits, Spencer343434, Teeglor, ThoseNewtsTho, tiger123
LinkBack