The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

Spring Disease

This is a discussion on Spring Disease within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; Can anyone give me some more information on this disease? Like if your newt had it how long it would ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th June 2006   #1 (permalink)
katherine

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Can anyone give me some more information on this disease? Like if your newt had it how long it would have taken for it to die? I can't really find anything except this little bit:

Spring Disease
Spring Disease is caused by bacterium ranicida and occurs in some temperate species of amphibians during the breeding season. It is usually fatal.
Symptoms: excessive yawning, lethargy, skin discoloration or color loss.
Treatment: There is no known cure for this disease, though your vet may try an experimental treatment using wide spectrum antibioticst
Old 6th June 2006   #2 (permalink)
edward

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Please edit your post to show where you got the information you are quoting there as otherwise I will have to delete it due to copyright issues.

In any case the supposed pathogen listed there doesn't exist. I think the name was supposed to be Bacillus ranicida which if I remember correctly is an outdated variation of Aeromonas hydrophilia. The additional information is also very outdated as infections with A. hydrophilia can be cured as long as they are treated before the disease has progressed too far.

Ed

Ed

Tags
disease, spring

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 5 (Set)

deliriah, Erinony, eyrops, herbndorothy, mossrose