The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Fire belly newts (chinese)

This is a discussion on Fire belly newts (chinese) within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; Hi i was thinking about having a few in my 2x1x1 tank (54 litres/12 UK gallons/15 US gallons) and am ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th August 2006   #1 (permalink)
chris

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hi

i was thinking about having a few in my 2x1x1 tank (54 litres/12 UK gallons/15 US gallons) and am thinking about setting it up like no.7 in this link
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/setups4.shtml

would that be ok for them? i'd have about 7/8" of water so the land would be about an inch or less more than that so i'd have about 4" of air space between the land and the net lid i'd construct to hang over the top to keep them in properly

i'd use an air powered sponge filter to help clean the water

should i have the tank bare bottomed? as they are easier for me to clean and blood worm cant burrow under the substrate then as there wont be any

TIA
dragon

Old 14th August 2006   #2 (permalink)
chris

Gallery Images:
Comments:

what no replies? Click the image to open in full size.

Old 14th August 2006   #3 (permalink)
mark

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hi Chris, that set-up is great for a small group of Cynops orientalis. Have you already got the newts? One thing to consider is the amount of DIY involved in creating the set-up. The one you have picked involves getting glass cut to size and using silicone glue to stick it all together. Itís quite a lot of work and once complete you canít easily change the set-up. If your newts turn out to be very aquatic your hard work may be wasted. There are lots of ways to create platforms using more temporary methods such as bricks or flower pots. You can even buy pre-made floating platforms that will adjust to the water level in the tank. Floating pieces of cork bark make excellent islands too.

Bare bottomed tanks work well and are low maintenance but itís really a matter of preference. I like to have bare bottomed tanks that have lots of floating plants.

Old 15th August 2006   #4 (permalink)
chris

Gallery Images:
Comments:

hi

i've not kept any personally but i've looked after the ones we get in at the shop i work at so i do the cleaning etc. but that tank is land made out of rock which im not overly keen on personally

i have the silicone already and there is actually a glazers a couple of shops down from where i work so i might be able to get the glass from there

i do have 4 fish tanks (well 3 now as it's the 4th that i striped down for a newt tank) so i know about the other bits like water quality etc

what would i feed them on? i can get live a frozen bloodworm as i always have the frozen, but is there anything else i could/should feed as part of the diet?

Old 15th August 2006   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: ali has started on the right path

Hi Chris, check this out:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/foods.shtml

ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2006   #6 (permalink)
chris

Gallery Images:
Comments:

so i can feed them a diet of frozen bloodworms alternated with frozen glass worms with live blood worms as a treat once a week?

i read that i should feed every other day, is the correct or could i feed daily but smaller amounts?

Old 16th August 2006   #7 (permalink)
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Sounds good to me, but i would skip the frozen glassworms. I tried them once, and they were incredibly slimey gooey and the newts didn't eat them. The bloodworms and live blackworms are great. Cut-up earthworms are the best. If the newts are juveniles, or underfed, you might want to feed them every day. Otherwise, every 2-3 days is fine.

Old 16th August 2006   #8 (permalink)
chris

Gallery Images:
Comments:

cool, can't get live black worms over here though unfortunately, only live blood worms, that just as good?

Old 30th August 2006   #9 (permalink)
sjoera

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I bought two chinese firebelly newts today on a market. The guy that sold them clearly didn't know anything about it so I got all my information about them from the internet. The guy told me I should just put them in a tank with water and that's it (incredible isn't it?). I only have a small tank so I couldn't put it lots of stuff, but this is what I made of it: I put in some water plants and put some gravel on the bottom of the tank. I also put in a piece of wood. It floats, so the newts can crawl on it if they want to get 'on land'. The guy gave me some dried insects for food and I gave them that, but they don't eat. I read on the internet that they only eat live food, so I can't feed them the dried insects? Also: is it normal that I can just pick them up without them running away or trying to escape from my hands? Does it mean they're sick? It's not that they're weakened or something, because they just crawl and swim around in the tank. One of the newts is almost not getting in the water, he's been sitting on the wood for two hours now, so I hope that isn't a sign of sickness either. I hope someone can help me with this!

Old 31st August 2006   #10 (permalink)
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hi Sjoera,
Many newly-imported newts do not recognize dried food as food. Try to get some earthworms (whole or chopped), or other fresh food. It is better if you do not handle them. Sometimes they will struggle, sometimes sit still when you pick them up, this is OK. Newts are often inactive.
http://www.caudata.org/cc/faq/faq.shtml
http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Cy...ientalis.shtml

Old 31st August 2006   #11 (permalink)
sjoera

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Thanks Jennifer! I only picked them up to put them in their tank, I read that handling them could cause them stress so I've been leaving them alone since I put them in their new home Click the image to open in full size. Good to know that they're ok. I'm going to the pet shop today to get some live and frozen worms and hope I can get them to eat. I think I'll be getting a better tank too, because I think this one is way too small for them.

Old 1st September 2006   #12 (permalink)
sjoera

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I fed them live bloodworms and they were eating, I'm so happy! I'm only wondering how much I can give them, they're still really small. I put ten bloodworms in their tank and I'll see if they've eaten them all tomorrow.

(Message edited by cyradis on September 01, 2006)

Old 5th September 2006   #13 (permalink)
sjoera

Gallery Images:
Comments:

One of the firebellies doesn't want to eat in the water. He stays on land 90% of the day and doesn't want to eat in the water. He also doesn't want to eat anything that doesn't move. I tried feeding him with tweezers but that didn't work either. The other one is in the water almost all the time and eats frozen bloodworm too without any problem. He's also a lot chubbier. Anyone can give me some advice on what to do?

Old 5th September 2006   #14 (permalink)
roy

Gallery Images:
Comments:

If he doesn't go into the water you'll have to feed him on the land, easy as that.
He'll probably will go into the water after some time.
How large are they? They might be morphs.

Roy

Old 5th September 2006   #15 (permalink)
sjoera

Gallery Images:
Comments:

They are about 6 cm, so still very small. I'm just worried about the fact that he doesn't go into the water because I read that chinese fire bellies only come on land very rarely. I've been collecting lots of information about them over the past few days.

Old 6th September 2006   #16 (permalink)
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Juvenile firebellies live entirely on land, if given a choice. That's a normal part of their life cycle. If they are young - or stressed - it's normal for them to choose land. Keep trying to feed with a toothpick or tweezers.

Tags
(chinese), belly, fire, newts

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 11 (Set)

AmbhiMan, AterMentis, AuSu, bryssel, Chinadog, gutz, marcolecce, Rubes, ThoseNewtsTho, Troopsx2, Zac
LinkBack