The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Sexing spanish sharp ribbed newts

This is a discussion on Sexing spanish sharp ribbed newts within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; i have tryed to fined out haw i can sex 5cm juv newts. and i need to do it before ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By xxianxx

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th January 2007   #1 (permalink)
jake

Gallery Images:
Comments:

i have tryed to fined out haw i can sex 5cm juv newts. and i need to do it before i sell the rest of the group there is 8 of them and i want 3 and i need to sex them as fast as i can because i am selling them later today can someone help me. is this possible to do Click the image to open in full size.

Old 28th January 2007   #2 (permalink)
rodrigo

Gallery Images:
Comments:

At 5 cm???? I seriously doubt it...
You´ll have to wait until they are sub-adults or adults. You may have some trouble sexing them even if they are adults, if they are out of the breeding season, but it´s generally easy once they are adults.
Never heard of anyone being able to sex caudates at such an early age.

Old 28th January 2007   #3 (permalink)
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

It's just not possible, Jake. Try to make an agreement with the person you are selling them to - agreeing to swap one if you end up with all one sex.

Old 13th January 2016   #4 (permalink)
NJB

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: NJB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sexing spanish sharp ribbed newts

Could you tell me how to determine gender in an adult....around 6 years old. Thanks.

NJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2016   #5 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 132
Comments: 77
Rep: Sith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

This is a very old thread. (2007) You're better of making your own thread, and on your thread, would you please post pictures? Thank you

Old 14th January 2016   #6 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 7
Rep: xxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Females have bigger bodies when full of eggs, males have a more "bulldog" stance with bigger arms and nuptial pads. It's easier to tell the difference between the sexes when you see them together. Post some pics, Inc overhead shots

Old 14th January 2016   #7 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 132
Comments: 77
Rep: Sith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

This article may help: Caudata Culture Articles - Sexing

Tags
newts, ribbed, sexing, sharp, spanish

(View-All Members who have read this thread since 5th October 2017, 02:47 (Set) (Clear)

There are no names to display.
LinkBack