The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

Constantly finding dead salamanders in my inground swimming pool

This is a discussion on Constantly finding dead salamanders in my inground swimming pool within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; Everytime I clean my inground swimming pool I find dead salamanders in the skimmer basket. Is there something I can ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th June 2003   #1 (permalink)
kathy

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Everytime I clean my inground swimming pool I find dead salamanders in the skimmer basket. Is there something I can sprinkle around to deter them from wanting to come up near the pool and ending up in it?
Old 30th June 2003   #2 (permalink)
greg

Gallery Images:
Comments:

No magic pixie dust that I can think of, but how about setting up some sort of drift fence around the area. I assume you have a fence anyway... one to keep unwanted children from getting into the skimmer basket. SO that's a good start. To keep salamanders from entering the pool area something solid needs to be put in place around the bottom of the fence. It can be fabric (even landscape fabric) or wood or whatever and should go under ground maybe 2 inches. If you use landscape fabric this could be quite easy to do and you could incorporate it into the landscaping around the pool.

If there is any landscaping inside the fence, check under the mulch and such and see if there are any little dudes hanging out there already. If so, gently transport them to the other side of the fence and encourage them to take up residence away from the big blue.

Good luck,
greg

Tags
constantly, dead, finding, inground, pool, salamanders, swimming

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 3 (Set)

Celeste, ComingOfShadows, RobM