The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Ill CFB, need suggestions

This is a discussion on Ill CFB, need suggestions within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; I bought two young CFBs from a pet store about two weeks ago. I have a 40 gallon breeder aquarium ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th July 2005   #1 (permalink)
robin_k

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I bought two young CFBs from a pet store about two weeks ago. I have a 40 gallon breeder aquarium with lots of plants, sufficient hiding places, etc. Both of these newts prefer to be out of the water on logs or hugging the filter thus far (my old FBN of the same size is aquatic). Three days ago, I noticed that the slightly larger of the two new newts is now missing a hand and doesn't want to come out of the water. A day later, he began developing what appears to be a rash.. bumps all over his back. He is shedding in pieces, which I know is also a bad sign. I'm considering doing a dirt quarantine, but I've tried that with a juvenile before and he didn't make it.. so I am very hesitant. Right now, I have him in a netted area in the aquarium where he can get out of the water (but hasn't yet) and other inhabitants cannot bother him. Has anyone else had a newt with similar symptoms? If so, how did you treat the rash/shedding/missing limb? I'll take some pictures now and try to post them in a few minutes.

Old 12th July 2005   #2 (permalink)
robin_k

Gallery Images:
Comments:

He appears to be in good spirits. He's not lying around as if he's sick; he's very active and was fighting me when I brought him out of the water to take pictures.

His bumps aren't discolored.

I haven't seen either of the new newts eat since I bought them. I've tried feeding them live black worms, live brine shrimp, and frozen brine shrimp.

Pics to come soon....

Old 12th July 2005   #3 (permalink)
robin_k

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Old 12th July 2005   #4 (permalink)
ira

Gallery Images:
Comments:

sounds like something attacked him, what are you keeping him with?

mixing species often leads to disastarous results.

Old 12th July 2005   #5 (permalink)
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I've never seen bumps like that. Other than the usual advice on treating sores, I don't have any ideas.
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/sores.shtml

In the future, I'd suggest that any new newts should be quarantined before being placed in the tank. Newts from pet shops tend to bring in all kinds of germs, and it's not unheard of for well-established newts in the tank to die as a result.

Old 12th July 2005   #6 (permalink)
robin_k

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Here's a picture with more detail. These bumps are pretty much all over his upper body. They are larger than the much finer, usual roughness of his skin. Also, each "bump" actually appears to be a large pore or raised ring... It's very strange. I have a good idea of what attacked him -- I'm more concerned with how to treat him.

A second, smaller newt that I bought at the same time from the same location is also developing this same condition -- both newts are shedding and developing the bumps. I've never seen any of my newts shed before.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 13th July 2005   #7 (permalink)
robin_k

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I put the larger newt in a dirt quarantine tonight (with potting soil-- its all I have for now, I'll get topsoil tomorrow). I patted the soil down well but it immediately sticks to him, which seems like it would be bad for his shedding and bumps. Before I put him in the quarantine, I carefully dabbed his back and what's left of his arm with hydrogen peroxide. His back immediately turned white and fizzed. Not sure what this means.. Infection? Natural reaction? I rinsed him with water after and put the quarantine in a dark, cool place. I'll keep you posted. Should I try an antibiotic (without pain killer) in addition to the hydrogen peroxide? Or one or the other? Anyone have luck healing newts with a quarantine or peroxide or antibiotic? Help!!

Old 13th July 2005   #8 (permalink)
mark

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hi Robin - I asked some questions about hydrogen peroxide a while back. http://www.caudata.org/forum/message...tml?1117747782
This should answer your query about the fizzing.

Old 13th July 2005   #9 (permalink)
robin_k

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Your link was extremely helpful, Mark. Thank you! I agree that perhaps Caudata culture should be updated. I didn't even know to dilute the hydrogen peroxide. Click the image to open in full size.

Old 13th July 2005   #10 (permalink)
robin_k

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Unfortunately the larger newt died in the quarantine. Perhaps due to my hydrogen peroxide overdose? I hope not. I'm hesitant to quarantine the smaller newt now. I feel horrible. :'(

Old 13th July 2005   #11 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: janice has started on the right path

I'm so sorry. I bet you do feel horrible. I would. Whatever happened after the quarantine was probably already happening... We can't always save animals (or people) although we want to. I hope someone here can give more advice than I can but I am giving you my sympathy.

janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2005   #12 (permalink)
robin_k

Gallery Images:
Comments:

The smaller newt died the next day. I feel slightly better that I may not have killed the larger one since the smaller one died too. But I'm very sad that they didn't make it.

Old 15th July 2005   #13 (permalink)
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Sorry to hear it. Unfortunately, a lot of firebellies arrive to pet shops in poor condition and carrying diseases. A lot of them die in the first few weeks after they are bought.

I'm currently working on contacting the author of the treatment article to see if we can improve the information on peroxide.

Old 16th July 2005   #14 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: janice has started on the right path

Robin, I would be very sad too. Click the image to open in full size. I do hope you manage to get some healthy newts soon. Let us know about your success next time!

janice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cfb, suggestions

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 1 (Set)

calpolybobby
LinkBack