The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Homemade chiller.. i need opinions

This is a discussion on Homemade chiller.. i need opinions within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; Hello every body!! I use a refrigerator to cool my aquariums but i have a friend that cant assume the ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd May 2006   #1 (permalink)
antoni

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hello every body!!
I use a refrigerator to cool my aquariums but i have a friend that cant assume the high costs of buying one for him so we are looking for something homemade with little money. I saw this post http://www.caudata.org/forum/messag...html?1147876100 , I exposed the idea and some of my friends think that this sistem will not be ok.. Can you tell me what do you think??
Im refering to the method exposed by Pablo Sarano, he says he can change water temp from 29C to 12C but in a aquarium of less than 20 litres, what about bigger ones...?
Thank you very much!!

Old 24th May 2006   #2 (permalink)
nadia

Gallery Images:
Comments:

once i heard that you can cool an aqurium by putting a bottle of ice in the water and changing it every day or whenever it needs!i suppose that this works though i haven't checked it yet...instead of bottles you can use ice bags or you can even surround your aquarium with foam(i don't know if "foam"is the right word in english for what i mean-sorry!)or another material which helps to keep a cool temperature..

Old 24th May 2006   #3 (permalink)
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

The link you gave doesn't work. Can you give the full link?

Please do not post the same message twice, in different sections of the forum. I deleted your other post in the General Discussion section.

Old 24th May 2006   #4 (permalink)
antoni

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Im sorry Jennifer... (its a little bit difficult to edit posts in this forum)
Here is the link:
http://www.caudata.org/forum/message...tml?1147876100
Thank you very much!!!

Old 24th May 2006   #5 (permalink)
fran

Gallery Images:
Comments:

i used Sharn's direction and it was working great keeping the temperature great but i found tieing it in with the filter caused that to slow. i hooked a separate water pump to the refrigeration part and it is working great its strong enough to alow for a spray bar around the top to help keep the tank a uniform temp. this time i didnt flood the livingroom

Old 26th May 2006   #6 (permalink)
antoni

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Nobody wants to tell something about the Pablo Sarano cooling method??Click the image to open in full size.

Old 26th May 2006   #7 (permalink)
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

It looks like it could work, but may be difficult to maintain. You would need a lot of ice (or frozen bottles) every day. What would you do if you went on vacation? How large is the tank you want to cool?

Old 27th May 2006   #8 (permalink)
antoni

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I use a refrigerator for my aquariums and i have no problems with temps, im asking this because i saw the Pablo Sarano post and a friend says that it cant work well... its only to know what do other people think about it. Do you think it will work in a 100 litres tank???
Thank you very much Jennifer!!

Old 30th May 2006   #9 (permalink)
vladimir

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I think we should not doupt about Pablos way.why should it not work well if he swears it does?
I am going to give it a try it anyway.

And Fran...just were can I find Sharn's direction ??

Tags
chiller, homemade, opinions

(View-All Members who have read this thread since 26th October 2017, 18:15 (Set) (Clear)

There are no names to display.
LinkBack