The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Newt and fish

This is a discussion on Newt and fish within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; Is is safe to put an adult male red-spotted newt in the same 10-gallon tank with two medium-sized goldfish? They ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st May 2006   #1 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: TJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Is is safe to put an adult male red-spotted newt in the same 10-gallon tank with two medium-sized goldfish? They only eat goldfish flakes, so I don't think they'll bother a newt. Is it safe?
P.S.- I already looked over "Mixing disasters" and it didn't say anything about small goldfish. The biggest one is about 4" long.

(Message edited by Redeftguy on May 31, 2006)

TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2006   #2 (permalink)
karen

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I don't think it would be wise to mix eastern newts (or any newts) with anything, for reasons of toxicity, temperature preferences etc.

Old 31st May 2006   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: ali has started on the right path

Goldfish are huge pigs. I would never risk that. The species mixing disaster page also conveys the idea that unless it's been done with high success before, you just never know what's going to happen. I wouldn't do it.

ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2006   #4 (permalink)
christopher

Gallery Images:
Comments:

ya, and plus gold fish are masssssive waste producers so the water gets dirty pretty quick...

Old 31st May 2006   #5 (permalink)
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Two medium goldfish are already a lot for a 10 gallon tank. I have kept eastern newts with goldfish in the distant past, but I wouldn't do it again.

Old 31st May 2006   #6 (permalink)
joseph

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Agreed with Jenn. For the sake of the goldfish's long term health you should probably consider upgrading them to a tank or a pond. Then perhaps the newts could use the 10 gallon.

Old 31st May 2006   #7 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: TJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Thanks for the help everyone. My dad is thinking about getting a 20-gallon tank for the fish, so I'll get the old aquarium. Right now, though, I'm focusing on getting an eft for my terrarium.

TJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fish, newt

LinkBack