The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Eft water dish

This is a discussion on Eft water dish within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; What kind of water should be used in a Red eft's water dish?...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st May 2006   #1 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: TJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

What kind of water should be used in a Red eft's water dish?

TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2006   #2 (permalink)
christopher

Gallery Images:
Comments:

well cold bottled water or aged tap water...the first choice is best...

Old 31st May 2006   #3 (permalink)
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Any water that does not contain chlorine. I wouldn't say that bottled water is any better than properly treated tap water.

Old 6th June 2006   #4 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: TJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I have a dehumidifier at home. I can use that because the water comes right from the air.

Old 6th June 2006   #5 (permalink)
Jan
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: Jan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

You may want to consider not doing this - the dehumidifier collection vessel itself may pose problems depending on what material it is made from and what condition it may be in, e.g., rusting. Collected static water could also be a source of microbes. Safest bet is to do as Jennifer suggested above.

(Message edited by jan on June 06, 2006)

Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2006   #6 (permalink)
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I agree, I would worry about bacteria. The tubing and collection containers for dehumidifiers are usually coated with a rather gross slime.

Old 10th June 2006   #7 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

The tubing and all that stuff is cleaned frequently and all the water comes from the natural humidity in the air, so I don't see what bacteria could be in it. Besides, I use it in my fish tank and the fish have been alive in there and perfectly healthy for about 4 years.

Old 11th June 2006   #8 (permalink)
meghan

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Tim, Jen wouldn't steer you wrong....I'd take her advice. Otherwise you're putting you're efts at needless risks. Why do that?

(Message edited by 2tanker on June 11, 2006)

Old 13th June 2006   #9 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

So should I just use bottled water then?

Old 14th June 2006   #10 (permalink)
karen

Gallery Images:
Comments:

It's easier to just use tap water that's been allowed to sit overnight (so dissolved gas bubbles can escape), then place the water in the refrigerator to make it cold. Be sure to check water for chlorine though.

Old 15th June 2006   #11 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

But somebody on this website told me that they don't use chlorine for tap water anymore, so exposing it to sunlight doesn't work. I think it does though. I've tried it.

Old 15th June 2006   #12 (permalink)
Jan
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: Jan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Tim - this depends on where you live. More and more municipalities are switching to chloramine and away from chlorine. Chloramine which is a combination of chlorine and ammonia is not removed by allowing water to stand (it does not dissipate as does chlorine) and it is not removed by boiling.

Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2006   #13 (permalink)
mark

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Buy some de-chlorinator that treats both chlorine and chloramine from a pet shop and treat the tap water you use. Far easier than bottled water and cheaper in the long run. Just follow the instructions carefully.

Tags
dish, eft, water

LinkBack