The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

New newts

This is a discussion on New newts within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; I just got 4 new paddletail newts. I have them in a 30long aquarium (by themselves). They were all a ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th June 2006   #1 (permalink)
audrey

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I just got 4 new paddletail newts. I have them in a 30long aquarium (by themselves). They were all a little tramatized after I got them because they had a 4 hr car drive. However, 3 seem happy, but 1 has bumps on his skin. They are white and small. He seems less active then the other 3. I haven't been able to get a good picture of him and am warry of touching him if he is already sensitive. Should I quarantine him? Is there any way to medicate, and what other info might be helpful for figuring this out?

Old 14th June 2006   #2 (permalink)
jameswei

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I think the safest bet is to quarantine him, and get good pictures for the more experience forum members.

Old 14th June 2006   #3 (permalink)
phoebe

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I dont know whats happend but i would suggest keeping him in another tank for the time being, and we do need a picture.

Old 15th June 2006   #4 (permalink)
joan

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Audrey, if they were held together, the only benefit to quarantining would be to medicate it seperately.

Can you describe the bumps better?*

Old 15th June 2006   #5 (permalink)
audrey

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I am trying to get a picture but the bumps are so small and my camera doesn't seem good enough to pick them up, maybe I can borrow a camera. The bumps are mainly around the head and a few on the body. They appear to be circular and a light creamish color, about the size of a pen head. They bump up on the skin. However, he may be fine because he hasn't been
acting sick for the last two days and when I tried to pick him up to get a photo, he certainly put up a healthy fight. I'm not used to these aggressive newts!

Old 15th June 2006   #6 (permalink)
phoebe

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Well please try for a photo so we can identify, but i still think you should separate him. If you zoomed in on even 2 that would help, or even draw one if your desprate.

Tags
newts

(View-All Members who have read this thread since 14th May 2016, 14:46 (Set) (Clear)

There are no names to display.
LinkBack