The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Cooling period, How long?

This is a discussion on Cooling period, How long? within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; Last time I bred my newts I gave them a cooling period of 16 weeks. But this year my C. ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th October 2004   #1 (permalink)
benjamin

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Last time I bred my newts I gave them a cooling period of 16 weeks. But this year my C. orientalis have been at 10º c for just one week and already my female has enormous fat reserves, and the male's cloaca is very swollen and "hairy". It's so tempting just to take them out now.

Old 9th October 2004   #2 (permalink)
kaysie

Gallery Images:
Comments:

you dont really have to cool C.o. to get them to breed.

Old 9th October 2004   #3 (permalink)
benjamin

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Well I attribute the changes they're showing right now to a cooling period, but it could just be the female responding to being moved from a crappy pet store environment, to good one, and the male responding to the presence of a potential mate and his return to the water after a year on land (he spontaniously went terrestrial and then, just as spontaneously, ironically when a I bought the other newt, he suddenly returned to the water).

Old 9th October 2004   #4 (permalink)
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

What do you mean by "take them out"? Take them out FROM where, and TO where?

Old 9th October 2004   #5 (permalink)
edward

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hu Jenni,
I suspect he is referring to take them out of the cooler temps....

Ed

Old 9th October 2004   #6 (permalink)
joseph

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Mine are breeding right now, yours are already in cool temps? My temps are dropping as of now.

Old 9th October 2004   #7 (permalink)
benjamin

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Yeah I mean take them out of cool temps. They seem to have all the required breeding "apparatus" (Male: swollen cloaca, Female: Large fat reserves, triangular shaped cloaca.) I'm thingking of keeping them cool until the solstice but artificial lighting can fix that. I suppose it wouldn't make sense to breed them now because I'm going on vacation in a week, then have lots of evening activities until mid november, and after that exams so I guess I might be best keeping them cold until then, but after losing four last winter, I'm a bit worried about long cooling periods, especially if they're not necessary (which my observations seem to say it isn't.)

Tags
cooling, long, period

(View-All Members who have read this thread since 4th July 2017, 09:23 (Set) (Clear)

There are no names to display.
LinkBack