The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

N.v. piaropicola and viridescens

This is a discussion on N.v. piaropicola and viridescens within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; I've had a pair of N.v. viridescens (Red-Spotted Eastern Newts) in a nice big tank for a couple of years. ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th September 2006   #1 (permalink)
jordan

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I've had a pair of N.v. viridescens (Red-Spotted Eastern Newts) in a nice big tank for a couple of years. Now I'm planning to add a pair of N.v. piaropicola (Peninsula Newts) to the tank. Does anybody see any compatibility issues here? How about any changes I might need to make to the tank (e.g. temperature)?

Old 10th September 2006   #2 (permalink)
alberto

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hi Jordan
Wow you have a pair of N.v. piaropicola! You are one lucky guy! They are native to Florida but I have never seen them and I have been living in Florida for many years! But I have had the opportunity to talk to several Conservation Biologist and they have told me that the Peninsula newt is very common away from urban areas!
The Red Spotted newt, Central newt, Broken striped newt and the Peninsula newt are all one species!
I do not think you are going to have any problems. But be very careful!
Good luck!Click the image to open in full size.

Old 11th September 2006   #3 (permalink)
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I see a couple of issues that you should think about. One is disease. The new newts should be quarantined, and even then you won't know for sure if they carry something that newts from another locale haven't been exposed to. Another issue is that the two types will cross-breed, so any offspring would be a mix. Another issue is size, as adult eastern newts can vary widely.

Tags
piaropicola, viridescens

(View-All Members who have read this thread since 20th September 2017, 16:39 (Set) (Clear)

There are no names to display.
LinkBack