The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Newt fertilization

This is a discussion on Newt fertilization within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; I know marbled newts and their kin have their eggs fertilized internally , my question is if you have a ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th June 2006   #1 (permalink)
peter

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I know marbled newts and their kin have their eggs fertilized internally , my question is if you have a nice fat female newt full of eggs can I now remove the males. Does anyone know how long a fertilization is viable for ( ? a week, a month, a season).
Any info about this and related topic's much appreciated

Peter

Old 4th June 2006   #2 (permalink)
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I think it depends a lot on the species. I've read a believable story about a female Salamandra producing young 2+ years after being separated from any male. For species like Triturus, I would take a wild guess that they could continue to lay fertile eggs for maybe a week or two. But it could be longer, or shorter, I've never tried it. I suspect the fertility rate would gradually decline over time.

If you do separate them, it would be nice if you'd record the results and post them. It wouldn't be an easy result to record, though, as half of the marmoratus eggs are non-viable to begin with. You'd have to do some careful collection and counting of eggs and hatchlings.

Tags
fertilization, newt

(View-All Members who have read this thread since 12th May 2016, 04:14 (Set) (Clear)

Mbieszck
LinkBack