The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Please help

This is a discussion on Please help within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; I'm worried about my 2 hongkongs, recently they have started stying at the top or the tank like at the ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th May 2006   #1 (permalink)
sarah

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I'm worried about my 2 hongkongs, recently they have started stying at the top or the tank like at the surface or on land, they used to spend every hour of every day in the water, now they don't want to, they used to go mad over food and come to the front of the tank when i walked passed thinking they were going to get fed,
now they are not interested, one especially used to love eating tadpole now he ignores them he doesn't want to knowClick the image to open in full size.

I am really worried and what has made it even worse is that they haven't even bothered eating the skin sheddings, before they would argue as to who would eat it, now it is just floating in the water..

Please can you help, i don't want to lose them Click the image to open in full size.

Old 24th May 2006   #2 (permalink)
riikka

Gallery Images:
Comments:

have you chanced your taking-care-system(sorry my bad englishClick the image to open in full size.)? have you cleaned more than usual or are your water more warm or hot?

my cynops pyrrhogasters started to stress when i just had them, because i cleaned too much. i started to clean less and finally they went back to water.

Old 24th May 2006   #3 (permalink)
ian

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Have you tested your water for ammonia and nitrite,this could be the problem.

Old 24th May 2006   #4 (permalink)
christopher

Gallery Images:
Comments:

well I wouldnt recomend you keep tadpoles with your hong kongs because tadpoles dirty the water to fast but about your problem it might be because your water is to hot....check and see if your water is above 70f because if it is then the try to steer clear of the water and if it is to hot I would add ice cubes....well hope I could help..

Old 24th May 2006   #5 (permalink)
edward

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I would not suggest adding ice cubes to the tank as this typically is not sufficient to control the temperature for more than a little while and the rapid ups and down can significantly stress the newts. This is why people use larger plastic bottles with ice in them as this allows for a longer slower cooling of the tank and keeps the temperatures more stable.

If the tank is cycled, and the water changes have been kept up, unless a large number of tadpoles has been dumped in the tank, the tank should readily deal with the waste produced by the tadpoles.

I would suggest checking the temperature, and that the bacteria that break convert the waste to nitrate hasn't been disrupted.

Ed

Old 25th May 2006   #6 (permalink)
sarah

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I had tried putting a bottle of frozen water in but it didn't make any difference, i only added tadpole before as a snack for them, they loved them,
I cleaned the tank out about 2 weeks ago and had cleaned it a month before that, well nt cleaned but did a water change, i don't use a pump so half water changes are fairly regular about every month

Old 25th May 2006   #7 (permalink)
edward

Gallery Images:
Comments:

With the water bottle technique, you need to have several bottles and rotate them (as one melts, replace it with another one and refreeze the first one) and it can take several rotations before the temperature comes down.

I would also suggest getting your water quality checked as a total tank cleaning is probably causing your tank to recycle.

Ed

Old 25th May 2006   #8 (permalink)
tyler

Gallery Images:
Comments:

What about adding a bottle of cold spring water or replacing some of the water with cold spring water? I'm not suggesting this I'm asking the newt experts, but if they say it's good then sure take my suggestion : )

Old 26th May 2006   #9 (permalink)
edward

Gallery Images:
Comments:

This has the same drawbacks as the ice, you increase the water volume while only cooling it a little bit so you have to keep removing water and adding water. Its just better to use the plastic bottles of frozen water (or better yet use a basement or a airconditioned room).

Ed

(View-All Members who have read this thread since 26th September 2017, 23:56 (Set) (Clear)

There are no names to display.
LinkBack