The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Wild Newts

This is a discussion on Wild Newts within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; My mums friend brought 5 newts to us from her pond because she has too many. I'm not sure what ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th June 2006   #1 (permalink)
lorie

Gallery Images:
Comments:

My mums friend brought 5 newts to us from her pond because she has too many.
I'm not sure what type of newts they are though. I know they're not red belly newts but there's one (that i presume is male) that has a bright colored tail! The colours i noticed were red,blue, pale yellow and petrol green.
Very pretty.
Any ideas?

Old 14th June 2006   #2 (permalink)
joan

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Next time, tell your mum's friend to leave the newts in the pond. Nature self-regulates, and 'too many' is not an issue.

Are you sure they're not crested newts?

Old 14th June 2006   #3 (permalink)
mark

Gallery Images:
Comments:

They will be one of our 3 native species, smooth newt (lissotriton vulgaris), palmate newt, (lissotriton helveticus) or crested newt (triturus cristatus). Google them for images or check out the species list on CC http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Salamandridae.shtml
Crested newts are protected in the UK and it's illegal to move them. Yours are most likely l.vulgaris as they are the most abundant. As Joan states it's best to leave wild newts alone and if you don't know one newt from another you may even be breaking the law.

Tags
newts, wild

(View-All Members who have read this thread since 22nd October 2017, 21:38 (Set) (Clear)

There are no names to display.
LinkBack