The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

Help! I have a salamander in my house & he belongs outside.

This is a discussion on Help! I have a salamander in my house & he belongs outside. within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; I live in northern Michigan in a wooded area with a pond. We have seen salamanders outside often, by the ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th July 2007   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: KELLIS has started on the right path
Exclamation Help! I have a salamander in my house & he belongs outside.

I live in northern Michigan in a wooded area with a pond. We have seen salamanders outside often, by the pond. Well, we had a 4th of July party and we have since noticed that a salamander has come inside the house! We need to get him back outside........but don't have a clue how to "catch" him without harming him.

Any suggestions? He has been clever, hiding under things and we can not get him. I am wondering if there is a safe trap we can set or lure him out with something?

Please share your expertise..........thanks!
KELLIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2007   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

I don't think this is a salamander (amphibian). Sals are slow-moving and fairly easy to catch indoors. Could it be a lizard (reptile) instead?

I don't know of any lure that would help capture a lizard. The best thing I can think of would be nets, either large fishnets or butterfly nets. Don't grab it by the tail, as the tail may break off.

Hopefully other folks will have additional suggestions.
Jennewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2007   #3 (permalink)
Ed
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 1
Rep: Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

I agree with Jen, it doesn't sound like a salamander. I would suspect one of the native skinks,

If you are good with tools you can contruct a funnel trap using some 2 or 3" PVC by adding a wide mouth funnel to the end and placing it along the walls. The slope needs to be shallow enough that the animal can climb it and get trapped in the Pvc tube (cap the other end).

Sometimes setting some newspaper sheets on the floor with a gap under them can make the animal run under the paper allowing you to pin it through the paper and remove it outside.

Ed
Ed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
belongs, house, salamander