The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Hello, I am soon to be getting 2 Tiger sals..

This is a discussion on Hello, I am soon to be getting 2 Tiger sals.. within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; But they arent liek others i have seen they are green with black dots.. is this a tiger sal or ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd December 2007   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: freekygeeky has shown reliable knowledgefreekygeeky has shown reliable knowledge
Default Hello, I am soon to be getting 2 Tiger sals..

But they arent liek others i have seen they are green with black dots.. is this a tiger sal or been lablled wrongly?

they look just liek my metermorphed axy...

which i wil update you on - he eats like a pig!!!! and is gaining wait all the time - ill try to get some more photos!

they are currently livign in a fish tank with one rock.. should i do the same or set them up like my axy,

some moss,s rocks, tarra cotta pot, bark hide, and a dish with water?

Click the image to open in full size.

MR lister my metermorphed axy

Click the image to open in full size.

as he was

Old 24th December 2007   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: rigsby is a mainstay of Caudata.orgrigsby is a mainstay of Caudata.orgrigsby is a mainstay of Caudata.orgrigsby is a mainstay of Caudata.orgrigsby is a mainstay of Caudata.orgrigsby is a mainstay of Caudata.orgrigsby is a mainstay of Caudata.orgrigsby is a mainstay of Caudata.org

When you say fish tank with one rock, do you mean water with a rock as a climb out, if so the set up is totally wrong they will need a set up as you describe. Tigers like to burrow so a good layer of eco earth or top soil moist not wet with some hides and a small water bowl will do. I see you are using sphagnum moss, have you tested it for acidity. A lot of axies have some tiger salamander in them which is the case with your morph i would say looking at it.

rigsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2007   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: freekygeeky has shown reliable knowledgefreekygeeky has shown reliable knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigsby View Post
When you say fish tank with one rock, do you mean water with a rock as a climb out, if so the set up is totally wrong they will need a set up as you describe. Tigers like to burrow so a good layer of eco earth or top soil moist not wet with some hides and a small water bowl will do. I see you are using sphagnum moss, have you tested it for acidity. A lot of axies have some tiger salamander in them which is the case with your morph i would say looking at it.

yea just a rock to climb out - but when i get them ill change it - should i have some water in there or...

also if they are a pair are they likely to breed - if so what do i do?

used to lizards...

spagnum moss and eco earth is what i shall do then, thank you!!

dont be angry with this question.. (gonna sound awful and or stupid.) can my changed axy live with them or is it best to stay apart?

Old 24th December 2007   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: duktig has started on the right path

There are many color morphs of Tiger salamanders, mostly separated by geography. My gues would be that he's a Blotched Tiger Salamander (Ambystoma tigrinum melanostictum), but without knowing where he came from its hard to say for sure.

You can get them to breed by manipulating their habitat (water levels, lighting, et cetera)

He could live with the neotenic brothers and sisters, but would prefer a more terrrestrial habitat.

duktig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2007   #5 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

It's unlikely that you'll be able to breed the tiger salamanders. The breeding between axolotls and tiger salamanders happened with neotenic tigers, not terrestrial axolotls.

I don't know what the aggressiveness is of terrestrial axolotls, but tiger sals are pretty aggressive. If axolotls are more shy, they're likely to be harassed by the tigers.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2007   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:

thank you very much - i wil keep them seperate dwhen i get them then - thank you.

so as they are 2 year olds do you recon the tiger sals will not breed then - i was hopeing they would - stunning stunning things - never seen them round here before :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaysie View Post
It's unlikely that you'll be able to breed the tiger salamanders. The breeding between axolotls and tiger salamanders happened with neotenic tigers, not terrestrial axolotls.

I don't know what the aggressiveness is of terrestrial axolotls, but tiger sals are pretty aggressive. If axolotls are more shy, they're likely to be harassed by the tigers.

Old 24th December 2007   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by duktig View Post
There are many color morphs of Tiger salamanders, mostly separated by geography. My gues would be that he's a Blotched Tiger Salamander (Ambystoma tigrinum melanostictum), but without knowing where he came from its hard to say for sure.

You can get them to breed by manipulating their habitat (water levels, lighting, et cetera)

He could live with the neotenic brothers and sisters, but would prefer a more terrrestrial habitat.
Ambystoma tigrinum melanostictum <-- look at that on google - only one looks likt them - some have HUGE spots .. they are mainly green with a few tiny black sopts a lil liek this one.
http://www.schwanzlurche.de/3/Ambyst...20diaboli1.jpg

Old 25th December 2007   #8 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

Tiger salamanders do not breed readily in captivity. There's only been 1 or 2 legitimate cases of captive breeding ever.

Old 25th December 2007   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:

kk thank you, so are they ALL WC then?
Quote:
Originally Posted by duktig View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaysie View Post
Tiger salamanders do not breed readily in captivity. There's only been 1 or 2 legitimate cases of captive breeding ever.

Old 25th December 2007   #10 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Yes, all tiger salamanders are wildcaught.

Old 25th December 2007   #11 (permalink)
Ambystoma Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 11
Rep: dane_zu has given consistently good advice and informationdane_zu has given consistently good advice and informationdane_zu has given consistently good advice and information

yep, you can almost guarantee that any tiger salamander u see is wild caught

Old 25th December 2007   #12 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 898
Comments: 26
Rep: Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11

A few cb tiger sals were sold in the uk this year.

Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2007   #13 (permalink)

Nationality:

hey - thanks you. thats such a shame..

seriosuly didnt think tthat

thank you again.

Ginax

Tags
sals, tiger

LinkBack