The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Bigger Digs for the FBNs...a couple of questions re: filters, etc.

This is a discussion on Bigger Digs for the FBNs...a couple of questions re: filters, etc. within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; We're upgrading our 4 FBN's from a 10 to a 20 long aquarium. I'm all about making this as low ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th January 2008   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: DesertRaven has started on the right path
Question Bigger Digs for the FBNs...a couple of questions re: filters, etc.

We're upgrading our 4 FBN's from a 10 to a 20 long aquarium. I'm all about making this as low maintenance as possible. Unfortunately, I can't dedicate as much time to the newts as I'd like. They are definitely great therapy.

Anywho...the tiny 10 gallon was too little. It gets icky too fast and the submersible filter made the water too warm in the summer (we live in the desert). I really like everything to look pretty natural and that hunk of plastic in the corner was hard to hide and it didn't seem to do much filtering. SO...I went out and got the Zoomed 501, new tank, new screen lid and sand (we were using gravel before). As soon as I began assembling the filter, the very first thing I did was put together the 2 parts that make up the screen for the end of the lift tube. It wouldn't stay together at all. So now I either have to rig up something else on the end of the tube, return it and get another or return it and get something else. I'd really like a small canister but the local shops don't have anything "small" other than this Zoomed thing. Any ideas?? Filter recommendations?

Also, in the new tank we're not having a "land" section. They never used it before and were seemingly fine with hanging out on top of some live plants and rocks, etc. sticking up above the water surface. However, I am growing tired of feeding them worms and having to clean up the leftovers that get strewn about the whole tank. So...I'm trying to come up with some way of making them a feeding dish that I can put in and take out when they're done. Without a land area, I don't know how to accomplish that. I could make something like a glass shelf. But then it'll be hard to change my mind about the set-up 45 times with something so permanent in there! LOL! I was thinking of making some small out-cropping attached with suction cups...but I can't think of what to use for the actual out-cropping. Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance for your ideas!

DesertRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: DesertRaven has started on the right path

Sorry...just realized I probably should have posted this on a different board...maybe general or newbie questions.

DesertRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

I moved this for you to the "Newt and Salamander Help" section.

Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Rep: lims has given good advice and informationlims has given good advice and information
Arrow

As for food being leftover, trial and error will help you work out how much to feed them, there's no harm in them being slightly on the hungry side until the next feeding (in my opinion) I'm sure they get hungry in the wild sometimes.
I agree, CFB don't really need a land section, broad leaved plants on the surface are enough.
And I agree sand is better than gravel for many reasons.

lims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2008   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: jett862 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm also in the process of installing the zoomed filter; there are a few parts you should have, and they should all connect. I'm sure you already know this, but it can't hurt to post, right?

The two pieces of the flexible tubing connect to the filter; from there you can connect the "stiff" tube directly into the flexible tubing, or you can opt to use the black harness tube they give you. I did the former. Finally, you fold the two halves of the tube-end-suction-guard-thingy together, and plug it onto the end of the plastic pipe.

If the parts don't connect together, you can try using silicone II and letting it dry 24+ hours before letting liquid touch it. I also opted to silicone the pipes directly to my tank, which normally would be quite unattractive.. but I plan to cover the entire thing in a great stuff/silicone/cocofibre (in that order) layering.

jett862 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigger, couple, digs, fbnsa, filters, questions

LinkBack