The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

newt larvae injury

This is a discussion on newt larvae injury within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; I just posted a thread about the snail situation in my tank, because I was just about to move my ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th January 2008   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: shop worn angel has started on the right path
Exclamation newt larvae injury

I just posted a thread about the snail situation in my tank, because I was just about to move my larvae to the tank and want to make sure I can do this safely. In the few seconds it took to post that, one of my newt larva bit off another larva's tail. What do I do with the injured larva? Can it go into the tank with the rest of the larvae?

Please help!

Thanks!

shop worn angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2008   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 1
Rep: crested has given good advice and informationcrested has given good advice and informationcrested has given good advice and information

Hi.

It is normal for newt larvae to attack each other like this. All newt larvae are opportunistic preditors and not averse to a little canabalism!

If you have the space I suggest keeping the injured larvae seperated from the others to prevent further attacks (the taste of blood from the wound may trigger fresh attacks from the other larvae).

With luck, clean water and a good supply of food the tail will not become infected and should heal/ regrow. Although if it survives this individual may always have a stumpy tail.

Regards

Jim

crested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2008   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

I doubt that "stumpy" will be attacked again, but it may be less stressed if it's kept by itself. As James said, if the tail doesn't get infected it will regrow. It will be a setback to this larva's growth though, so it may be more prone to problems later on.

Old 26th January 2008   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Rep: shop worn angel has started on the right path

I have some aquarium salt and Pimafix handy. Do you suggest I add some of this to the water to promote healing???

shop worn angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2008   #5 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 25
Rep: jewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I had larvae that lost tails to siblings and/or parents. I never intervened by adding chemicals, etc, and the larvae did fine. I cannot even tell which animals lost tails now as none of the morphs have tail deformities. In my opinion I don't think you need to add anything.
Heather

"Anyone who is disturbed by the idea of newts in a nightclub is potentially dangerous." Frank Zappa
jewett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2008   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

Same here - I've never treated any larvae that lost tails, and they've always survived.

Tags
injury, larvae, newt

LinkBack