The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Is this regular behavior ???

This is a discussion on Is this regular behavior ??? within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; I am a first time owner of a paddle tailed newt. I got my newt on Monday ever since then ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th March 2008   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: oatmeal23 has started on the right path
Default Is this regular behavior ???

I am a first time owner of a paddle tailed newt. I got my newt on Monday ever since then he hasn't eaten. I have him in a 10 gallon tank for now. The tank has has plant life, and two rock caves. He either stay' s in one all day or is behind them. I give him a few newt bites a day but he does not eat. Is it because he is in a new environment ??

oatmeal23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2008   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Rep: Lasher is a mainstay of Caudata.orgLasher is a mainstay of Caudata.orgLasher is a mainstay of Caudata.orgLasher is a mainstay of Caudata.orgLasher is a mainstay of Caudata.orgLasher is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Its not uncommon in a new environment.
Other factors to consider would be where you got him(Pet store? Wild or captive bred?), water quality(cycled? Tested?) and the food your offering. Don't know what a 'newt bite' is, try real food.

Lasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2008   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: keechoo has given good advice and informationkeechoo has given good advice and informationkeechoo has given good advice and information

I have 3 of them and I can tell you that 2 didn't eat for about a week but the third tried the pellets. Someone here told me they would eat live food so I offered them trout worms and they grabbed them right away. Two are still eating the trout worms and my girl is eating nightcrawlers.

keechoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2008   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: salamanderguy has a given some bad advice or info, or has behaved inappropriately

yes try live food paddletails will rarley if ever take pellets

salamanderguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2008   #5 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 6
Comments: 3
Rep: t_summ is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgt_summ is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgt_summ is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgt_summ is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgt_summ is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgt_summ is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgt_summ is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgt_summ is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Paddletails are typically very ravenous in the company of live prey. Live blackworms, redworms, or even eathworms are great food choices for them. Just be patient, he will come around if you introduce the right foods.

t_summ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2008   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thank you everyone for you help. Well yesterday i changed the tank settings and he loved it. He moves around more now instead of stay in one spot. Now i will try live food. Thank you for your help.

Old 29th March 2008   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

Being more active is not necessarily a positive sign. Staying behind rocks (when not eating or begging or looking for food) is fairly normal for newts. Let us know when you've got him eating. Good luck!

Old 29th March 2008   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:

well now he is eating night crawlers and he is back to staying in one spot unless he is looking for food.

Old 30th March 2008   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:

ok well the other day i got him red worms. I got him 2 eat three of them but i cut them in to smaller pieces so he wouldn't have trouble eating them. I tried feeding him today but he ignored the worms. the last time i feed him was yesterday afternoon.

Old 30th March 2008   #10 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

Depending on the temperatures, they don't necessarily need to eat every day.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
behavior, regular

LinkBack