The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

What to do about poop?

This is a discussion on What to do about poop? within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; I was wondering, if you have a terrestrial newt, salamander, or whatever in a viverium or whatever it is with ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th March 2008   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: killking236 has started on the right path
Default What to do about poop?

I was wondering, if you have a terrestrial newt, salamander, or whatever in a viverium or whatever it is with moss and plants and stuff, what happens when they poop? Do you have to scoop it out or change the bedding? If the whole floor of the tank is moss, what do you do about the poop then?

killking236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2008   #2 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

If you have a completely terrestrial setup, you change the substrate occasionally (every 2 months or so). If you have lots of live plants and turnover and such (bugs, worms, etc), then you will have natural decay.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2008   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 15
Rep: DantezGirl has started on the right path

so in completely terrestrial setup it ok to have free range worms bugs ect so long as you change the substrate regularly? and of course clean up any poop ir dead bugs worms ect? this will not harm the newts in any way?

Old 30th March 2008   #4 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

What won't harm the newts? Having freerange crawlies? Um... In the wild, they don't live in sterile tanks.

Old 30th March 2008   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 24
Comments: 1
Rep: pete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by killking236 View Post
What to do about poop?
I had myself a little chuckle about what this thread could be about before clicking the link. Thanks

pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2008   #6 (permalink)
Jan
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: Jan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

In addition to changing the substrate every couple of months, I also like to spot clean weekly to remove feces.

Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2008   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:

So at setup will you have to remove the poop until there are bugs and stuff or do the plants deal with the poop if there are enough of them?

Old 30th March 2008   #8 (permalink)
Jan
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: Jan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by killking236 View Post
So at setup will you have to remove the poop until there are bugs and stuff or do the plants deal with the poop if there are enough of them?
My advice - if you see feces, remove it. In my opinion, the smaller the enclosure, the more necessary this is.

Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2008   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thanks everyone

Old 30th March 2008   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: chrisrolinski has started on the right path

Without being facea-cious (lol) - what does a newt poop look like, I have never really noticed mine...

chrisrolinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008   #11 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Shiny brownish footballs (american).

Old 31st March 2008   #12 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Levo has started on the right path

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaysie View Post
Shiny brownish footballs (american).
That would be when it is fresh, it does have a tendency to break down quickly though and sometimes just look like its turned the colour of my sand brown.

Levo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008   #13 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

In terrestrial setups, it doesn't break down as fast.

Tags
poop

LinkBack