The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Good, but odd

This is a discussion on Good, but odd within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; So today I switched my tank from gravel to bare bottom. I expected that the tank would go through a ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th July 2008   #1 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Comments: 10
Rep: oregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and informationoregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and informationoregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and informationoregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and informationoregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Good, but odd

So today I switched my tank from gravel to bare bottom. I expected that the tank would go through a mini cycle because I removed the gravel and removed probably 2/3 of the tanks water, but the ammonia and nitrites appear to be 0 and the nitrate reading is between 10-20. I do have Alot of algae on some of the objects in the tank. Could that have made up for the bacteria I lost removing the gravel and water? There still is some waste on the bottom, but I'm planning on removing it tommorrow. It just seems like there is something not right here.

Old 27th July 2008   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: xMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Re: Good, but odd

The way I see it, everything seems fine. Because your tank was well setup, you still have a the right bacteria to keep things under control. But, now that you removed the gravel and some of the water you don't have as much of it. Now you will have to check the water more often for "spikes" but things should be pretty good, just be careful.

Mitch

xMIDNIGHTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2008   #3 (permalink)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Rep: Nathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.org

The healthy bacteria live on every surface in the tank, including ornaments, plants, glass, etc. Just taking out the gravel and doing a water change won't usually cause the tank to begin a new cycle.

Wollemi
(Look around you)
-Australian Aboriginal saying

Nathan050793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2008   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Comments: 10
Rep: oregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and informationoregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and informationoregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and informationoregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and informationoregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and information

What would cause the spikes?

Old 28th July 2008   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: xMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.org

When you have newt waste, uneaten food and decaying plant matter introduced into your setup, it is controlled. But because you will be removing some of this "helpful" bacteria, it MIGHT raise more than before. So it will be more of a increased raise in ammonia/nitrite levels than a "spike". I just said spike because it can happen very quick depending on the variables above. Just test it more until you know everything is under control.

Mitch

xMIDNIGHTx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bacteria, cycle, good, mini cycle, odd, remove substrate

LinkBack