The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Tiger Salamander VERY sick...please help

This is a discussion on Tiger Salamander VERY sick...please help within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; I have two tiger salamanders in a 20L tank. They are rescued research animals who are documented full sibs. I ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th July 2008   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: BreezyNCC is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Tiger Salamander VERY sick...please help

I have two tiger salamanders in a 20L tank. They are rescued research animals who are documented full sibs. I was gone for 3 weeks and had people come care for them. Friday they were both fine, but when I came home Sunday at noon, one of them had become stuck between a wooden accessory and the tank wall. The plank is usually located centrally in the tank to allow them to climb, but was moved by the person who came to feed them. Anyway, the salamander was very dry and covered in a greenish fungus. At first I thought he was dead. I placed him on papertowels soaked in a saline solution and gently dabbed him with sterile gauze and saline. He moved a toe and I decided to try and save him. He is now able to swim and climb, although he seems very awkward. He appears to be healing and the fungus going away. I completely changed tanks, and have a double filtration system for the water. The water is dechlorinated and treated with aquatize for amphibians. I noticed today that the salamanders eyes appear to be covered with a milky white pus and I am suspecting a bacterial infection. What do you think? What can I do? This little guy is willing to fight for survival, so I am not going to give up on him now.

BreezyNCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2008   #2 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11
Default Re: Tiger Salamander VERY sick...please help

Are these larval or adult tiger salamanders?

I would suggest taking it to an experienced herp vet.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2008   #3 (permalink)
Jan
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: Jan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I would concur with Kaysie. In case you do not have these directories for herp/amphibian vets, you may find these useful:
http://www.arav.org/USMembers.htm
http://www.herpvetconnection.com/

Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2008   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: BreezyNCC is an unknown quantity at this point

We had an appointment with a vet today, but Sally passed away this morning. It was a sad moment and I think the sibling actually misses her. She was 5 years old.

BreezyNCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2008   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Pumpkin Pie is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm sorry to hear about Sally Did you manage to find out if it was an infection and what it was caused by?

Pumpkin Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2008   #6 (permalink)
Jan
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: Jan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyNCC View Post
We had an appointment with a vet today, but Sally passed away this morning. It was a sad moment and I think the sibling actually misses her. She was 5 years old.
So sorry to hear of your loss.

Jan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bacteria, dehydrated, eyes, fungus, salamander, sickplease, tiger

LinkBack