The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

FBNs and Japanese newts

This is a discussion on FBNs and Japanese newts within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; I currently have a lone Fire belly newt in a 20 gal long. Normally I'm totally against housing different species ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th November 2008   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Stormphyre is an unknown quantity at this point
Default FBNs and Japanese newts

I currently have a lone Fire belly newt in a 20 gal long. Normally I'm totally against housing different species together. But since, from a glance, anyway, Japanese newts seem to have very close requirements, is it possible that they could live together safely without any issues in the long run?
Thanks for answers and opinions!

Stormphyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2008   #2 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 25
Rep: jewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: FBNs and Japanese newts

First off, what species of Fire Belly Newt do you have? Many species are labeled "Fire Belly" such as Cynops orientalis, Pachytriton labiatus, and some Paramesotritons. The Pachytritons and Paramesotritons can be very territorial, even to members of their same species. Its not unheard of for them to cause life threatening injuries to others, or even straight out kill tank mates.
Cynops species on the other hand are much more docile. They do well in same species tanks. That being said, however, I would never recommend mixing species. Though most Cynops have the same housing requirements, there can be enough of a size discrepancy across species that the smaller animals may feel bullied or threatened just by the presence of a larger animal, even if the larger animal shows no signs of aggression. I myself keep both Cynops orientalis and C. pyrrhogaster ("Japanese Fire Belly) and the adults of both species are very different in size. I am sure there are others who have mixed these species with no problems and the animals did fine for years and years, but I am a bit of a purest and really dislike the idea of a mixed species newt tank. Neither Co's or Cp's are difficult to find captive bred (try looking in the For Sale section) that if you would like to add animals to a current tank it should not be too difficult to find the right species.
Heather

"Anyone who is disturbed by the idea of newts in a nightclub is potentially dangerous." Frank Zappa
jewett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2008   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Rep: Stormphyre is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: FBNs and Japanese newts

Thanks for the response! The more I thought about it, the more unsettled I was about housing the two species together. My current guy is a Cynops orientalis. Very smooth, dark brownish in color and roughly 4'' in length. Perhaps I'll just move tanks around and make some more space. Lol. No biggy!
Thanks again.

Stormphyre is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
co habitating, co-existing, fbn, fbns, fire belly newt, japanese, japanese newt, newts

LinkBack