The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

Newbie questions

This is a discussion on Newbie questions within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; hello guys i have just taken the plunge into newts and have a 20 gallon setup with two alpine newts. ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st December 2008   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 1
Rep: Red guy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newbie questions

hello guys i have just taken the plunge into newts and have a 20 gallon setup with two alpine newts. I have a few questions i hope i can get answered.
firstly one of my newts hates the water if he touches it he pulls away and if he falls in he swims frantically until he gets back on land which for the moment consist of a piece of drift wood sticking out of the water .When i read the care sheet i though it would be best to keep them fully aquatic but after seeing this newts reaction i thought i would be cruel to deny him land. my other newt loves the water and stays there all the time both eat live blood worms. is this normal?
second i have read that species mixing is not advisable but what about jap fire bellies and alpines? or white clouds and alpines?
also how do i tell males from female alpines my two have a drag coloration but noticeable swollen tail bases making me think they are males.
thanks allot guys
Red guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11
Default Re: Newbie questions

How old are the newts? Juveniles tend to be land-lovers.

No, you cannot firebellies with alpines for numerous reasons: their toxins are completely different, and potentially very toxic to each other (The firebellies being more toxic than the alpines). Then, you run the risk of two species not recognizing each other as 'friend', and fighting. Neither species is very aggressive to their own, but they may be aggressive to others.

As far as white cloud minnows, this is marginally acceptable, as long as you're willing to risk losing some as a snack.
Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 1
Rep: Red guy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Newbie questions

thanks
the newts are only about two years old.the land newt as i like to call him will venture into the water to eat if i place worms in the knock just under the water.
Red guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, questions