The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

Feeder Fish?

This is a discussion on Feeder Fish? within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; Has any of you ever used feeder fish to feed aquatic, or terrestrial salamanders?...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th January 2009   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 8
Comments: 4
Rep: 454 has shown reliable knowledge
Default Feeder Fish?

Has any of you ever used feeder fish to feed aquatic, or terrestrial salamanders?
Old 27th January 2009   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: ferret_corner has given consistently excellent advice and informationferret_corner has given consistently excellent advice and informationferret_corner has given consistently excellent advice and informationferret_corner has given consistently excellent advice and informationferret_corner has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: Feeder Fish?

Yes.

My tiger sal used to go surfing regularly for guppies I bred and put in his pond. Sometimes he'd go months and not touch them, and they'd breed into infinity. Then he'd decided he wanted fresh fish and he go surfing for fish. Very cool to watch.

Sharon
ferret_corner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2009   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 24
Comments: 1
Rep: pete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Feeder goldfish aren't the greatest food source and can be aggressive towards caudates or introduce disease. Guppies are okay, but should be isolated for a period to avoid disease transfer. Many people breed their own guppies to get around quarantining to ensure that they're healthy. I don't see why you couldn't hand feed fish to terrestrial salamanders, but it would be much easier and healthier to just use worms.
pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2009   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

A lot of aquatic newts and sals are too slow to catch live fish. So it's not as simple as just putting small live fish in the tank. I used to keep guppies in some of my newt tanks, but they never got eaten. (Though I did have some larvae that were fast enough to eat the baby fish.) Nutritionally, I've heard that guppies are better than goldfish.
Old 28th January 2009   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 8
Comments: 4
Rep: 454 has shown reliable knowledge

Well yesturday I went to petsmart and got eight feeder fish for $0.12 each, and one died on the ride home so thats seven, then today after chool I checked on my salamander an there was only one left with three dead(dont know why?). So that means he eight four fish. By the way they were tiny about one inch. Does anyone know why the fish died? I gave them food, filter, live plants ect. Thanks.
Old 29th January 2009   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: aird3 has started on the right path

Hi 454. I have never had any trouble with my 2 salamanders eating feeder fish that I have put in their tank. I don't give them feeder fish all the time because I vary their diet, but everytime I have released them into their tank, they have been eaten pretty quickly by both salamanders, and I have never had any trouble. Trial and error, what works for some doesn't always work for others. Cheers Carol.
aird3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2009   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: amkid247 is an unknown quantity at this point

feeder fish in many petstores are usually kept in horrid conditions. your fish probably due to stress or disease.
amkid247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2009   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

Hopefully it wasn't disease. Since you didn't quarantine the fish to watch for illness, they may have passed disease on to your salamander.
Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2009   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: salrushdee is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Feeder Fish?

I got my 2 tigers from a local pet store owner,he gets them when mixed with his feeder goldfish shipment.Since they are illegal to sell in Ohio,he gives them away to teachers and local loyal customers.Is'nt that nice of him He always keeps one on display to show and teach people about them and often visits schools to make kids aware of thier enviroment.What a swell guy so Iam not so sure of dangers of feeder goldfish to sallys or larvae.

Last edited by salrushdee; 13th March 2009 at 01:22. Reason: addition to post
salrushdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2009   #10 (permalink)
Jan

Nationality:
Rep: Jan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by salrushdee View Post
.......so Iam not so sure of dangers of feeder goldfish to sallys or larvae.
There are always dangers - a primary risk being transmission of bacterial or parasitic diseases, thus the need to quarantine.
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feeder, fish, fish?