The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Sickly marbled juveniles

This is a discussion on Sickly marbled juveniles within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; I have acquired 10 or so pygmy marbled newts (last years babies approx. 9months old) i have had them 2 ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th March 2009   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Lee31 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sickly marbled juveniles

I have acquired 10 or so pygmy marbled newts (last years babies approx. 9months old) i have had them 2 weeks and they were kept on damp/wet kitchen towel in a large sealed plastic tub with live bloodworms and some bark to hide under.

I have now found that 6 of them are really pushing on with growth and 2 have died from what looks like there back legs and feet turning into red swollen lumps, followed by the newts not eating and just dying, almost as if the legs have gone all fungal or too soggy????

please tell me am i keeping them too wet, im doing the same as what they were in, but admit my tissue base is wetter than what they were on, but i also dont want them to dry out???

I dont want to lose them all, or is it survival of the fittest and out of 10 of varying sizes, im destined to lose say 40% of them???

Lee

Lee31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: rigsby is a mainstay of Caudata.orgrigsby is a mainstay of Caudata.orgrigsby is a mainstay of Caudata.orgrigsby is a mainstay of Caudata.orgrigsby is a mainstay of Caudata.orgrigsby is a mainstay of Caudata.orgrigsby is a mainstay of Caudata.orgrigsby is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Re: Sickly marbled juveniles

Sounds like you already know the answer, you've been keeping them too wet,along with the DAMP paper towel put a lump of moss in at one end then they will pick the place they feel most comfortable .

rigsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2009   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11
Default Re: Sickly marbled juveniles

Just because they are newts doesn't mean they will dry out. A land-adapted newt really doesn't need much moisture.

Tags
juveniles, marbled, sickly

LinkBack