The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Collecting decor from outside

This is a discussion on Collecting decor from outside within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; Just wondering if it's safe to collect items for decor from outside. Such as bark, logs, rocks, plants. And if ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th March 2009   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: shinnick13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Collecting decor from outside

Just wondering if it's safe to collect items for decor from outside. Such as bark, logs, rocks, plants. And if so, how do I clean it to make it safe?

Harmony

shinnick13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2009   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: elchicano has started on the right path
Default Re: Collecting decor from outside

I'm about to do this myself, I'm mainly sticking to rocks and stones. For stones i usually wash them with water. But this has been with fish set ups, so I too would be interested to hear what should be done.

elchicano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2009   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: ferret_corner has given consistently excellent advice and informationferret_corner has given consistently excellent advice and informationferret_corner has given consistently excellent advice and informationferret_corner has given consistently excellent advice and informationferret_corner has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: Collecting decor from outside

i do this too.

typically i boil small rocks, especially those with craggy holes or deep clefts.

small sticks & branches get submerged in a bucket of water then baked in the oven for a bit.

when i used large logs for reptiles I soaked them in my pond then hung it over a fire or hot coals or smoked it. I never decided which I liked best and i got out of reptiles before trying them again.

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow a mystery, but Today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.
Master Oogway
ferret_corner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
collecting, decor

LinkBack