The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store


when larvae start eating?

This is a discussion on when larvae start eating? within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; Hello all, I have a recent larvae from my newts. It hatched yesterday, but I haven't seen it eating anything ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Reply

 

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th March 2009   #1 (permalink)
Asian Newt Group
 
OZIRIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Nationality:
Location: [ Members Only ]
Posts: 153
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 2
Rep: OZIRIS has given good advice and informationOZIRIS has given good advice and informationOZIRIS has given good advice and information
Question when larvae start eating?

Hello all,

I have a recent larvae from my newts. It hatched yesterday, but I haven't seen it eating anything yet, is it normal?

How long it takes before its first food? I have added some copepods to the tank but it seems not to show interest to hunt them.

I'm afraid about it...It's my first larvae too

Click the image to open in full size.


Thanks beforehand



__________________
OZIRIS
OZIRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2009   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member
 
slowfoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Nationality:
Location: [ Members Only ]
Posts: 665
Gallery Images: 23
Comments: 0
Rep: slowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: when larvae start eating?

Hi Oziris,

In my experience, larvae won't eat for the first two or three days after hatching. They'll usually just absorb the little yolk sac they come out of the egg with.

Cute little guy! Good luck with him



slowfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2009   #3 (permalink)
Asian Newt Group
 
OZIRIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Nationality:
Location: [ Members Only ]
Posts: 153
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 2
Rep: OZIRIS has given good advice and informationOZIRIS has given good advice and informationOZIRIS has given good advice and information
Default Re: when larvae start eating?

Thanks slowfoot!

I watched my larvae all the day and it just laid on the tank floor and no copepods were eaten still.

I'll keep waiting...



__________________
OZIRIS
OZIRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2009   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member
 
slowfoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Nationality:
Location: [ Members Only ]
Posts: 665
Gallery Images: 23
Comments: 0
Rep: slowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: when larvae start eating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZIRIS View Post

I watched my larvae all the day and it just laid on the tank floor and no copepods were eaten still.
Wow! You are dedicated How old are the larvae today?



slowfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2009   #5 (permalink)
Asian Newt Group
 
OZIRIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Nationality:
Location: [ Members Only ]
Posts: 153
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 2
Rep: OZIRIS has given good advice and informationOZIRIS has given good advice and informationOZIRIS has given good advice and information
Default Re: when larvae start eating?

Today afternoon, 2 days :_)



__________________
OZIRIS
OZIRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2009   #6 (permalink)
Asian Newt Group
 
OZIRIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Nationality:
Location: [ Members Only ]
Posts: 153
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 2
Rep: OZIRIS has given good advice and informationOZIRIS has given good advice and informationOZIRIS has given good advice and information
Default Re: when larvae start eating?

Well, I got some live daphnia asking for a favour to a pet shop (it's very difficult to get them here) and yesterday, 4 days after hatching, it started eating :_) and it has small forelimbs too, so cute.

Regards



__________________
OZIRIS
OZIRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Nationality:
Location: [ Members Only ]
Posts: 84
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: vincent has given good advice and informationvincent has given good advice and information
Thumbs up Re: when larvae start eating?

They dont eat for a couple of days that gives you chance to breed brine shrimp the baby newts love them they are very small and need to be strained through a hankerchief then the hankerchief is placed under a SLOW running tap this gets the salt off them, then feed to the babies by dipping the wet hankie in the water the shrimp swim off. If you have a lot of eggs dont try to raise them all it is tempting but concentrate on afew and get your technique right. I breed sharp ribbed newts /slamanders there is lots of spawn but I RAISE MAYBE ONLY A FEW it is lots of work .If you cant get live daphnia which they take after a week to ten days try frozen and defrost a small amount then drop it on a gently bubbling air stone the movement gets them to feed with this method you can get them to eat ground cat fish sinker pellets if you are stuck for daphnia and bloodworm. Hope this helps! [you can buy brine shrimp eggs in suspension which hatch in 24hrs just follow the instructions]



vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Nationality:
Location: [ Members Only ]
Age: 53
Posts: 348
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: vistajpdf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgvistajpdf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgvistajpdf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgvistajpdf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgvistajpdf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgvistajpdf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgvistajpdf is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Thumbs up Re: when larvae start eating?

Oziris,

We are in the same boat and I, too, am diligently watching "Newty" day and night! I finally found live Daphnia on-line as my local pet stores seemed to be clueless. In fact, we bought the mom and dad from them a year ago - assured they'd never reproduce in captivity (I didn't need another hobby w/ three boys, all their sports going on and working as a dentist 3 days/week.) Anyway, the pet store couldn't even keep their supply alive and stopped ordering them. Now, I'm happy that they no longer carry them after becoming more informed here and realizing they are largely wild caught.

Anyway, read the articles here on hatching eggs here as they are very informative. It also discusses the water and how you should change part of it daily. I couldn't find live Daphnia until Sat. - it should arrive Wednesday - and was feeding him a frozen similar food and also frozen baby brine. I see him eat, but see a lot of food in the bottom, too. They do not eat the first couple of days as other posters have said as they have a supply of food on hand with their yolk sacs.

Ours is over 1 1/2 weeks old now and I have about 10-12 eggs that have yet to hatch. As much as I didn't want this hobby, it is exciting - just hope "Newty" makes it.

Dana



vistajpdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009   #9 (permalink)
Asian Newt Group
 
OZIRIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Nationality:
Location: [ Members Only ]
Posts: 153
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 2
Rep: OZIRIS has given good advice and informationOZIRIS has given good advice and informationOZIRIS has given good advice and information
Default Re: when larvae start eating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
They dont eat for a couple of days that gives you chance to breed brine shrimp the baby newts love them they are very small and need to be strained through a hankerchief then the hankerchief is placed under a SLOW running tap this gets the salt off them, then feed to the babies by dipping the wet hankie in the water the shrimp swim off. If you have a lot of eggs dont try to raise them all it is tempting but concentrate on afew and get your technique right. I breed sharp ribbed newts /slamanders there is lots of spawn but I RAISE MAYBE ONLY A FEW it is lots of work .If you cant get live daphnia which they take after a week to ten days try frozen and defrost a small amount then drop it on a gently bubbling air stone the movement gets them to feed with this method you can get them to eat ground cat fish sinker pellets if you are stuck for daphnia and bloodworm. Hope this helps! [you can buy brine shrimp eggs in suspension which hatch in 24hrs just follow the instructions]
Thanks vincent for advice, but I'm not going to raise brine shrimp because I only have 2 larvae, the female only laid 3 eggs and one didn't hatch. Maybe if she lays more I'll do it. Anyway,my daphnia culture is breeding and I can find very small ones, and I have copepods in another jar. I think this is enough. Larva are doing well, they are eating this microfood.



__________________
OZIRIS
OZIRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009   #10 (permalink)
Asian Newt Group
 
OZIRIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Nationality:
Location: [ Members Only ]
Posts: 153
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 2
Rep: OZIRIS has given good advice and informationOZIRIS has given good advice and informationOZIRIS has given good advice and information
Default Re: when larvae start eating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistajpdf View Post
Oziris,

We are in the same boat and I, too, am diligently watching "Newty" day and night! I finally found live Daphnia on-line as my local pet stores seemed to be clueless. In fact, we bought the mom and dad from them a year ago - assured they'd never reproduce in captivity (I didn't need another hobby w/ three boys, all their sports going on and working as a dentist 3 days/week.) Anyway, the pet store couldn't even keep their supply alive and stopped ordering them. Now, I'm happy that they no longer carry them after becoming more informed here and realizing they are largely wild caught.

Anyway, read the articles here on hatching eggs here as they are very informative. It also discusses the water and how you should change part of it daily. I couldn't find live Daphnia until Sat. - it should arrive Wednesday - and was feeding him a frozen similar food and also frozen baby brine. I see him eat, but see a lot of food in the bottom, too. They do not eat the first couple of days as other posters have said as they have a supply of food on hand with their yolk sacs.

Ours is over 1 1/2 weeks old now and I have about 10-12 eggs that have yet to hatch. As much as I didn't want this hobby, it is exciting - just hope "Newty" makes it.

Dana

Yeah, I have read the articles here many times, but I didn't find this question answered. Now, I know they won't eat in several days.

Good luck with yours!



__________________
OZIRIS
OZIRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Nationality:
Location: [ Members Only ]
Posts: 84
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: vincent has given good advice and informationvincent has given good advice and information
Thumbs up Re: when larvae start eating?

Hi guys you seem to be having difficulty with the daphnia,if you can get it from the pet shop ALIVE in a bag , put it in youre fridge it keeps fresh for a couple of days another way is to put it in small tank in the window and breed youre own, it will feed on liquifry No3 for egg layers or infursia which can be cultivated in a glass jar the instructons can be found on the net. I've been in the same situation and most pet shop staff are next to useless. Hope this helps [I have had the daphnia in bags nearly as big as the babies I'm trying to feed,thats why I start on the brine shrimp]




Last edited by vincent; 17th March 2009 at 16:07. Reason: missed information
vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009   #12 (permalink)
Asian Newt Group
 
OZIRIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Nationality:
Location: [ Members Only ]
Posts: 153
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 2
Rep: OZIRIS has given good advice and informationOZIRIS has given good advice and informationOZIRIS has given good advice and information
Default Re: when larvae start eating?

Oh Vincent, I'm not having problems with daphnia yet. I put them in the terrace where the sun lights and I feed them with spirulina dust and yeast. Certainly, the species I have, is big but while they are growing I have different sizes and I can choose which ones I can get; and larvae are eating them well.

Even today, the oldest one ate a small frozen bloodworm I moved in front of its head. I thought it would be harder to feed them with frozen food, but it accepted fast.

Regards

Click the image to open in full size.



__________________
OZIRIS
OZIRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2009   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Nationality:
Location: [ Members Only ]
Age: 53
Posts: 348
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: vistajpdf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgvistajpdf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgvistajpdf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgvistajpdf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgvistajpdf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgvistajpdf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgvistajpdf is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Re: when larvae start eating?

Vincent,

My pet store here doesn't carry the Daphnia. I went to an "exotic" aquatic store and they didn't have it either. I was confused online when I was shopping for them - wasn't sure what I wanted - a "starter pouch" or a supply. Will the general supply grow or do I need the starter pouch? I don't honestly know what I ordered but it will be here tomorrow. I have only one larvae, one egg that looks like the little newt inside is well-formed and a few other eggs.

Thanks for the tips, but until it arrives, I'm sure I'll remain somewhat confused and grateful the baby is eating the frozen things.

Dana



vistajpdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
eating?, larvae, start

LinkBack
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
larvae not eating.. ge0h0und Sick Axolotl? 7 15th May 2008 18:54
Larvae eating.. vanillaXtiffy Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding 5 10th May 2008 02:26
How do I get my newts to start eating? oregon newt Newt and Salamander Help 5 9th February 2008 01:07
Do red bellies mean Larvae are eating? Neurus Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding 3 17th January 2008 21:21
Larvae not eating karen Newt and Salamander Help 7 6th April 2005 21:05


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:36.