The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Severley Injured Salamander

This is a discussion on Severley Injured Salamander within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; My poor Sally! I found her slightly injured a few days ago. Needless to say, she has got a lot ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th March 2009   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: LindsayD is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Severley Injured Salamander

My poor Sally! I found her slightly injured a few days ago. Needless to say, she has got a lot worse. Her guts have come out of her body and she is dragging them around w/ her! She seems fine, but looks terrible. Its been 4 days and she's still alive. What do i do w/ her insides? Leave them? I've tried wrapping her, it didn't work. She slipped right out of it. Please leave comments!

LindsayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2009   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 23
Rep: slowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Severley Injured Salamander

I'm sorry about your pet, but it's not fair to let her suffer. Take her to a vet and have her humanely euthanized.

slowfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2009   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Necturus101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindsayD View Post
My poor Sally! I found her slightly injured a few days ago. Needless to say, she has got a lot worse. Her guts have come out of her body and she is dragging them around w/ her! She seems fine, but looks terrible. Its been 4 days and she's still alive. What do i do w/ her insides? Leave them? I've tried wrapping her, it didn't work. She slipped right out of it. Please leave comments!

I would take it to a vet that knows about salamanders and see if there is any way to save it first off.

Necturus101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2009   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: ferret_corner has given consistently excellent advice and informationferret_corner has given consistently excellent advice and informationferret_corner has given consistently excellent advice and informationferret_corner has given consistently excellent advice and informationferret_corner has given consistently excellent advice and information

I don't think you're going to see much different advice. Her guts hanging out takes this out of a home care scenario and places it firmly & squarely into the domain of a licensed vet.

I hope they have a solution but four days of intestines hanging out & drying out doesn't make for a positive outlook.

I really think your best bet would be to have her humanely euthanised and DO NOT allow them to freeze her. That is NOT humane.

An overdose of the proper anesthetic would be the way to do it.

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/euthanasia.shtml

Is this your pet salamander? Or one you found wild and decided to help?

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow a mystery, but Today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.
Master Oogway
ferret_corner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
injured, salamander, severley

LinkBack