The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Raising my larvae

This is a discussion on Raising my larvae within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; Hey Everyone. As some of you know, my T. granulosa has recently laid eggs and I'm gonna need help raising ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th March 2009   #1 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Comments: 10
Rep: oregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and informationoregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and informationoregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and informationoregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and informationoregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Raising my larvae

Hey Everyone. As some of you know, my T. granulosa has recently laid eggs and I'm gonna need help raising these little guys. My main problem is that we're going to Flordia for spring break, which is in 3 weeks and I need to know what to with the larave. Someone in the chat suggested that I leave them in a fully established tank with lots of plants. So here is my plan: I'm gonna set-up an eastablished 10 gallon tank with a bunch of plants, as suggested. I plan to have an airstone in there and a bare bottom, so the plants will probably be java moss, pothos, and stuff similar to that which can grow without soil. For feeding, I plan on putting some pond water in there before I leave. How does that sound?

Old 15th March 2009   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: Raising my larvae

You can put the pond water in earlier, and with all the plants, they may become more numerous...also then you can check to make sure you don't have anything carnivorous in the pond water.

Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2009   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: oregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and informationoregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and informationoregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and informationoregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and informationoregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and information

Should I put in the plants after I have cycled the tank?

Old 15th March 2009   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Also, how does one go about cycling a tank without a filter?

Old 16th March 2009   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

Just put the plants in with the pond water, the air bubbler, and let it go until you need it. I've raised many larvae this way, with just an air bubbler. It should be fine. If you have pond water and plants, you don't need to cycle it, it's already full of life.

Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009   #6 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

I find this method to be the easiest. You want to put plants from stablished tanks in the new 10 gallon tank. Also adding some decoration from old tanks will help. This will garantee that you have a colony of the beneficial bacteria, and that other creatures like copepods, ostracods, etc, will colonize the new tank. They´ll be a great additions to the larvae´s diet.

I´d also recomend the use of Elodea. This plant grows fast, thus helping to keep the water healthy, plus they are great oxygenators, complementing the air pump.

Good luck with these, it´s nice to see more captive breeding of this species.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009   #7 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Thanks alot.

Tags
larvae, raising

LinkBack