The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

fire salamander w/sores

This is a discussion on fire salamander w/sores within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; Please help,I just received 3 fire salamanders from a online reptile dealer,1 has red colored sores on his/her skin 1 ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th March 2009   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: salrushdee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default fire salamander w/sores

Please help,I just received 3 fire salamanders from a online reptile dealer,1 has red colored sores on his/her skin 1 sore looks like cartilage.Could this happen overnight, or was this an existing problem? Should I remove from others?This dealer was notified immediatly,I was told to treat for 6 days with Neosporin for 6 days. Please help a.s.a.p.

salrushdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2009   #2 (permalink)
Salamandra Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: benw is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbenw is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbenw is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbenw is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbenw is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbenw is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: fire salamander w/sores

You should never mix new sals with existing ones, so separate them asap.

Also can you post a pic or 2 of the sores on the sals, hope they get on the road to recovery, make sure you keep them nice and clean especially during treatment.

Ben

benw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2009   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: salrushdee is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Ben,and thanks for your concern,unfortionatly 1 of the 3 Fire Salamanders lived only few hours after arrival. These sallys were shipped together not added to an existing habitat with sallys.This is very disturbing,how could this have happened unless already sick.I will not name the dealer unless he will not make good of this situation in a timely manner. Thanks Again

salrushdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2009   #4 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by salrushdee View Post
how could this have happened unless already sick.
I think you hit the nail on the head.

It's an unfortunate situation, and I hope they recover. And if you do wish to purchase more salamanders in the future, I would encourage you to look at breeders, rather than wholesale distributors.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2009   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

Welcome to the troubling world of wild-caught amphibians. The other treatment generally recommended for skin ulcers is silvadene cream, but it's a prescription med.

Old 27th March 2009   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Pacmanfrogz is an unknown quantity at this point

I treated both of my tiger salamanders for chytrid right when i got them. Perhaps you can try that with the other two? Its not forsure if that is even the problem your having right now but it can't hurt. Here is a quote from steve busch:

"The treatment he is using is Lamisil AT spray pump. It costs about $10 at stores that carry foot fungus treatment medicines and is not over the counter product. It is the liquid version. Mix 10 squirts (about 1 ML) in 200 ml (3/4 cups plus 1 1/2 tablespoons) of water that is safe for frogs i.e. no chlorine. Soak for 5 minutes for 10 days. Keep on paper towels changed after each treatment. Your habitat soil needs to be changed and destroyed as the fungus lives in the damp soil."

Check out this page about a WTF where i got that quote.
http://talkto.thefrog.org/index.php?...=4&topic=14799

Pacmanfrogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2009   #7 (permalink)
Salamandra Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: benw is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbenw is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbenw is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbenw is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbenw is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbenw is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Yes the lamisil works a treat, i keep some on hand and as Jen says silvadene cream is good too.

Hope you get a satifactory result, and that the other survive.
Its unfortunate, but it happens, just remember its not your fault.

Ben

benw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2009   #8 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

I just wanted to say that those salamanders are ilegally collected in europe(depending on the exact subespecies, i might be wrong), and imported all the way down to the states...you really cant expect them to arrive healthy.....

Im with Kaysie....next time try to buy them from a breeder, you wont regret it..plus you wont be promoting the ilegal collection of our precious animals...

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire, salamander, w/sores

LinkBack