The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Red-spotted Newt (notophthalmus viridescens) with lumps on their head, torso and tail

This is a discussion on Red-spotted Newt (notophthalmus viridescens) with lumps on their head, torso and tail within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; Dear Friends, I was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on why some of my red-spotted newts ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th March 2009   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: jammor is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Red-spotted Newt (notophthalmus viridescens) with lumps on their head, torso and tail

Dear Friends,

I was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on why some of my red-spotted newts have lumps, or growths, on their head, torso and tail. Some of the newts have multiple lumps but it doesn't seem to affect their movement, eating or general health. Somebody did suggest it might be a parasite infection but how can I be sure? If anyone can shed some light on these suspicious lumps, I would be grateful.

Many thanks

Jamie

jammor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2009   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Rep: jcb118 has started on the right path
Default Re: Red-spotted Newt (notophthalmus viridescens) with lumps on their head, torso and tail

One way to check for some types of parasites is to take poop from the animals to a vet who can examine it for parasites. I have no idea whether something that causes skin lumps would leave traces in the poop, but I suspect it might not.

jcb118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2009   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 23
Rep: slowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Red-spotted Newt (notophthalmus viridescens) with lumps on their head, torso and tail

Someone else posted with something very similar not too long ago. Do they look like this?

My notophthalmus have some bundles

I've never seen or heard of these lumps before, but they do look to me like some sort of parasite living under the skin - maybe something that makes a cyst or fluid-filled cavity. Has anyone in the US every seen anything like this on a wild Noto?

slowfoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, lumps, newt, notophthalmus, red-spotted newts, redspotted, tail, torso, viridescens

LinkBack