The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Hope i did the right thing??? with pics

This is a discussion on Hope i did the right thing??? with pics within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; Ok, so I went fishing today (didn't catch much ), and I saw a guy fishing down aways from me, ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th March 2009   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: JoeTurtleKing has shown reliable knowledgeJoeTurtleKing has shown reliable knowledge
Default Hope i did the right thing??? with pics

Ok, so I went fishing today (didn't catch much), and I saw a guy fishing down aways from me, so I walked over to him to see if he was having better luck then I was having, and he said "No". He then said he was going to put his special bait on, so I asked him what that was, and he said "I'll show you". So he opens up a bucket that I figured it would have some worms, shiners, crayfish or something like that, but to my surprise it was 7 redback sals. I was not too happy about this, because I am now into keeping sals and newts, so I asked the guy why he was using them, and he said "because they work".

I then asked the guy if I gave him my shiners if he would let them go, he said no. I then offered to buy them off him, so he said "Okay, $2 each". I gave him the $14 and was going to let them go, but when I picked them up to let them go, I noticed that they were skinny, and very very very dry. I asked the guy how long he had them, he said 3 days .

While in the bucket, the sals have had no moisture, so instead of letting them go, I brought them home and put them in a 10 gallon fish tank with damp moss, a nice piece of slate, a small log that I found in the woods, and some very very small worms which I also found in the woods.

I haven't seen them eat, but I'm hoping they do soon. I'm going to order some springtails and I am going to the pet store tomorrow to get some pin head crickets.

I'm hoping to let them go in a couple of weeks, but I hope I'm not breaking the law by having them in the first place. I live in MA, so i looked on masswildlife.org to see if it was okay to have them, but it didn't say one way or the other.

Can some one help? And, did I do the right thing by buying them, and trying to save them, or should I have just let them go as soon as i got them out of the bucket?

Here are some pictures of the tank i mad for them please make suggestion on how to make them feel more at home. Sorry for the bad pictures my camera sucks.
Attached Thumbnails
Hope i did the right thing??? with pics-josephs-pics-002.jpg   Hope i did the right thing??? with pics-josephs-pics-004.jpg   Hope i did the right thing??? with pics-josephs-pics-003.jpg  

Last edited by Jacquie; 30th March 2009 at 08:24. Reason: Added grammar and punctuation!
JoeTurtleKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2009   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Comments: 10
Rep: oregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and informationoregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and informationoregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and informationoregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and informationoregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: Hope i did the right thing??? with pics

They don't look to skinny to me. Redbacks aren't the chubbiest animals to begin with.

Old 30th March 2009   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

I would have done the same thing. I have them in my backyard and I kept a few alive in the house one winter with springtails. I think mine also eat the small black slugs that are also common back there.

Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: JoeTurtleKing has shown reliable knowledgeJoeTurtleKing has shown reliable knowledge

When i took the picture they had eatin some crickets and i think the water help because as soon as i put them in there they plumped up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregon newt View Post
They don't look to skinny to me. Redbacks aren't the chubbiest animals to begin with.

Old 31st March 2009   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

I just hope i didnt break any laws. But even if i did im ok with that because i feel i did the right thing. Ill have to order some springtails because ive been feeding them pinheads but would like to give them a variety of food. But i really dont want to touch a slug
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterwoman View Post
I would have done the same thing. I have them in my backyard and I kept a few alive in the house one winter with springtails. I think mine also eat the small black slugs that are also common back there.

Old 31st March 2009   #6 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Tell me where that guy lives and I'll put him on a hook and see if the fish like that :P.

Old 31st March 2009   #7 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 298
Comments: 24
Rep: Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Tell me where that guy lives and I'll put him on a hook and see if the fish like that :P.
Can I be the first to cast him out?

Old 31st March 2009   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: vistajpdf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgvistajpdf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgvistajpdf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgvistajpdf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgvistajpdf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgvistajpdf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgvistajpdf is a mainstay of Caudata.org

You absolutely did the right thing - right on! People are just plain ignorant! Way to go for standing your ground and not turning away...I'm w/ John and Justin - cast the creep out!

Dana

vistajpdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

I once was at a park where a young girl was collecting Notos to sell as bait...I made her look at their little faces and told her how some people keep them as pets. It was a bit of a lecture, I hope I made an impression.

Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hope, pics, thing

LinkBack