The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

What species is that in the top right of the Caudata.org header?

This is a discussion on What species is that in the top right of the Caudata.org header? within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; Can anyone tell me what type he/she is? I'm a bit new here and don't know my caudata very well ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th April 2009   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Robroy has started on the right path
Default What species is that in the top right of the Caudata.org header?

Can anyone tell me what type he/she is? I'm a bit new here and don't know my caudata very well yet. I have just recently gotten some Axolotl eggs and am setting up the tank that they will be going into when they are old enough but am wondering if some type of Siren might go well with them if kept the same size. Sorry if it seems like a silly question. I'm sure most of you keep species spacific tanks for all your critters, but the tank is a 135gal 72"L x 18" D X 22" H. It has a built in overflow box and lvl can be adjusted by a sandpipe inside the box as low as 5". It also has a 120 gal sump on it so water quality shouldnt be an issue. I would like to plan ahead when setting up the tank if I am going to mix species so that they all have somewhere in it they feel comfortable. It will more then likely be half planted (back half) with the front being quarter sized fossles collected while river diving in Michigan with some smooth slate caves and what not, but that is why I want to do my research now so I can set it up for optimal comfort for the critters in it.

Thank you all in advance for all your great info,
Rob Roy

Robroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2009   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Steve Roman is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSteve Roman is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSteve Roman is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSteve Roman is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSteve Roman is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSteve Roman is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: What species is that in the top right of the Caudata.org header?

Rob , from what you stated I suspect you know that mixing species is almost never a good idea for many reasons. The size of the tank is just one possible negative and although you have that covered, I don't see these two species as compatible in least. Axolotls ferocious eaters and can be very aggressive. They are known to try to eat anything they can get their mouth stretched around. I've never kept sirens, but I suspect this is a species that needs its own home as well. I know it is tempting when you have a large tank to want to make an interesting show case, but with caudates it usually ends in disaster.

BTW, there are no silly questions here.

Steve Roman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2009   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

Yea, I figured that was the case was just wanting to double check. I will just have to set up a 2nd show tank for my sirens if I get some....oh noes. I love an excuse to set up another tank. For me that's 1/2 the fun.

Any clue what type that guy is? Or of a link to different types of them?

Thanks again,
Rob

Old 6th April 2009   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 298
Comments: 24
Rep: Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11

All the way at the bottom of this page you will find the different species of sirens. Hope that helps.

Old 6th April 2009   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thank you. that was just what I was looking for!

Tags
caudataorg, header, species, top

LinkBack