The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Hunting for Salamanders in NY!!!

This is a discussion on Hunting for Salamanders in NY!!! within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; I love in the Hudson Valley of New York. I have decided that I am going to go on an ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th May 2009   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 3
Rep: BellaCornuta is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hunting for Salamanders in NY!!!

I love in the Hudson Valley of New York.

I have decided that I am going to go on an adventure in search of either Marbled Salamanders or Blue Spotted Salamanders.

I did some research and they seem to have been spotted around this area.
I was wondering if anyone had any tips for finding these elusive little beasts.

Also, If I did find one or more would anyone out there be interested in trading for an Axolotl?

Here is what the local Marsh/woodland looks like.

Click the image to open in full size.

BellaCornuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: jbherpin has given consistently good advice and informationjbherpin has given consistently good advice and informationjbherpin has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: Hunting for Salamanders in NY!!!

I'd not over exploit that area, and in many cases wild collection for purpose of propagation is illegal. I'd watch out, and more importantly, respect the fragile state of many populations of these species.

-jbherpin-

-William Shakespeare
jbherpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2009   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 3
Rep: BellaCornuta is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbherpin View Post
I'd not over exploit that area, and in many cases wild collection for purpose of propagation is illegal. I'd watch out, and more importantly, respect the fragile state of many populations of these species.

-jbherpin-

Very good point. Perhaps it is best that I leave them be.

BellaCornuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2009   #4 (permalink)
Ed
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 1
Rep: Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

If I remember correctly New York recently changed thier rules regarding collection of native species for any purposes without a permit and in any case commercial transactions (a trade would qualify) would be illegal under thier rules. This entire bust started with a red salamander advertised for sale on the web http://www.dec.ny.gov/press/52868.html

Ed

Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2009   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: jbherpin has given consistently good advice and informationjbherpin has given consistently good advice and informationjbherpin has given consistently good advice and information

Thank you both for backing me up on this, and the link to the bust was a great punctuation to the point!
I hope Bellacornuta does the right thing. To further add to the list of resons not to...
Spotted Salamander impossible to observe?

This will show you (Bellacornuta) the site's posture toward this...

-jbherpin-

-William Shakespeare
jbherpin is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack