The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Slimy salamander or Red salamander?

This is a discussion on Slimy salamander or Red salamander? within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; Hi there is a reptile show coming up in 2 months and one of the sellers is likely to have ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th September 2009   #1 (permalink)
Salamandra Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 2
Rep: firesalamander has started on the right path
Lightbulb Slimy salamander or Red salamander?

Hi there is a reptile show coming up in 2 months and one of the sellers is likely to have both slimy and red salamanders. I was wondering which one I should get? I will be trying to establish a breeding colony. Its over 2 months away so I have a lot of time to prepare.

Albert Einstein
firesalamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 298
Comments: 24
Rep: Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11
Default Re: Slimy salamander or Red salamander?

Breeding either species is not going to be easy. I recommend the slimy salamander since they can tolerate a little warmer temps than the red salamanders. Red salamanders become very stressed if the temps reach above 65F.

Old 16th September 2009   #3 (permalink)
Salamandra Enthusiast

Nationality:

Really? I was looking on a care sheet and they said 65- 72 for the red salamanders.

Albert Einstein
Old 17th September 2009   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Nathan is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgNathan is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgNathan is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgNathan is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgNathan is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgNathan is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

It will depend a bit on the animal's origin for either species; individuals from southern lowlands will be more heat-tolerant than northern or upland individuals. Still and all, slimies are hardier than reds. You can find slimies in leaf litter in late spring and early summer; this microhabitat stays cooler than the ambient temp, but still can be pretty warm. Reds on the other hand are closely tied to spring runs (at least in the south) where temps usually stay below 65 or so. I have kept reds in a refrigerator, but wouldn't try them at room temp.

Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2009   #5 (permalink)
Salamandra Enthusiast

Nationality:

alright... They also had other interesting species there. Ill just have to wait and see.

Albert Einstein

Tags
red, salamander, slimy

LinkBack