The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Which would be better for a beginner?

This is a discussion on Which would be better for a beginner? within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; We're expecting some fire belly toads next week end for our 55. I wanted to transform our 10 gal into ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st September 2009   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: suptrace is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Which would be better for a beginner?

We're expecting some fire belly toads next week end for our 55. I wanted to transform our 10 gal into a newt viv...

I like the fire belly newts (
Cynops orientalis), but i also like the marbled newts. (Triturus marmoratus)

Was curious what you guys had to say. Which would be easier for a first timer? Which are more hardy? and, when I do eventually set up my 10 gal... About how many of them would I be able to house comfortably? I was only going to put two of them. But I was just unsure if even thats too many. Any help?

suptrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2009   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11
Default Re: Which would be better for a beginner?

You can keep 2 marbled newts in a 10-gallon, but it would be just barely big enough once they reach full size. Depending on how the tank is set up, you could keep 2 or maybe even 3 or 4 C. orientalis.

Old 21st September 2009   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: vistajpdf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgvistajpdf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgvistajpdf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgvistajpdf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgvistajpdf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgvistajpdf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgvistajpdf is a mainstay of Caudata.org

C. Orientalis as adults are quite easy. You may have them breed, however, and then it gets tricky. The adults are very low maintenance and I love their interesting coloration. They're happy eating a couple of times per week and are aquatic, but need a small place to get out of the water. As Jen said, 2-3 would be comfortable in a ten gallon.

Dana

vistajpdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2009   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Thumbs up Re: Which would be better for a beginner?

looks like fire belly newts are for me

Old 21st September 2009   #5 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

If you want to enter the realms of Cynops keeping, i strongly recommend you avoid pet-shop animals because they are WC and usually ill. Try to find some CB ones or wait for some to give away their stablished animals. that way you will avoid lots of problems and won´t support the WC trade.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2009   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:

WC? CB? not up to date with the terminology. And I've actually checked pet stores around here, and none of them carry any newts..

Old 21st September 2009   #7 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Comments: 5
Rep: madeve is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmadeve is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmadeve is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmadeve is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmadeve is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmadeve is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmadeve is a mainstay of Caudata.org

WC means wild caught, those newts are usually highly stressed from transport and poor housing. Most of them end up passing away no matter how hard you try to make their life better.

CB means captive bred, those newts are healthier and usually free of disease. We have many good breeders on this site that sell theirs.

Hope this helps.

Shoot for the Moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the Stars...
madeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2009   #8 (permalink)
NV
Asian Newt Group

Nationality:
Rep: NV has shown reliable knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by suptrace View Post
WC? CB? not up to date with the terminology. And I've actually checked pet stores around here, and none of them carry any newts..
Sounds familiar to me. I am ordering from Jennewt (I Believe that was her screen name). Great prices and they are captive bred.

NV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beginner, fire belly newt, marbled newt

LinkBack