The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

Can a Sal Hibernate in Captivity

This is a discussion on Can a Sal Hibernate in Captivity within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; Can a salamander hibernate while in captivity? I have a tiger sal and this is my first winter with him. ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th October 2009   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: mandygurl has started on the right path
Question Can a Sal Hibernate in Captivity

Can a salamander hibernate while in captivity? I have a tiger sal and this is my first winter with him. A couple of days ago my sal buried himself under the log i have in his enclosure and blocked all the exits. He has not come out in a couple days and the days before he had very little appetite. Should i be looking under the log to see if hes ok or just leave him? I haven't put any crickets in for him to eat because i like to be able to see him so that nothing happens to him. The temperature in my house has not gotten below 18'C. What should i do?
mandygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009   #2 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 42
Comments: 9
Rep: SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11
Default Re: Can a Sal Hibernate in Captivity

Burrowing is normal behavior for many Ambystomidae. They generally are only active on the surface at night.

Have a go at the Caudata Culture article on tigers and their care.
SludgeMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11
Default Re: Can a Sal Hibernate in Captivity

Some sals need to eat less when the weather is cooler. Pull him out once in a while and make sure he's looking fine and healthy. Otherwise, just let him burrow. Adjust his feedings so that there aren't leftover crickets all the time.

Tags
captivity, hibernate, sal