The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Hopalong

This is a discussion on Hopalong within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; I just noticed that one of the Cynops babies I received yesterday is missing half a back leg. Of course ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th January 2010   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Comments: 0
Rep: stitchpunk has started on the right path
Question Hopalong

I just noticed that one of the Cynops babies I received yesterday is missing half a back leg. Of course s/he is now my favourite and the only one to have a name! But. Will this be a problem as s/he gets bigger? Do I need to consider euthanasing or do Cynops have recuperative powers like axolotls?

stitchpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2010   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 298
Comments: 24
Rep: Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11
Default Re: Hopalong

It should regenerate just fine and quite quickly since it is still a larva. Just remember to keep the water clean and cool to prevent fungus from forming.

Old 5th January 2010   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Comments: 0
Rep: stitchpunk has started on the right path
Default Re: Hopalong

Thanks, I was hoping that would be the case from what I've read here. (note to self: do NOT read the illness and injury section right after dinner!) I did a 50% water change yesterday and will do a 100% today. Its just a bit disconcerting to see the poor thing limping along the bottom of the tub on a stump!

stitchpunk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cynops, cynops pyrrhogaster, injury

LinkBack