The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

Can tiger salamanders climb?

This is a discussion on Can tiger salamanders climb? within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; I bought a new fish tank awhile back measuring 30"L x 12"W x 12"H. Last night when I was watching ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th June 2010   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: dixychickca is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can tiger salamanders climb?

I bought a new fish tank awhile back measuring 30"L x 12"W x 12"H. Last night when I was watching TV I heard a thud and I thought nothing of it. When I was just about ready to go to bed, I looked down on the floor and my little guy was crawling on the floor. He never got out of his other home, I wonder what changed. I also hope he's ok, especially when he fell. Is there a reason why he would want to get out? He has a bigger home now.

Course with pets, they are really never satisfied .
dixychickca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2010   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: shmifty5 has given good advice and informationshmifty5 has given good advice and information
Default Re: Can tiger salamanders climb?

My tiger tries to climb out when he gets hungry (I think he does it just so I will notice how starving and fat he is, lol), or when I feed him he will do it to try and get more food from me.

I have never seen him get anywhere close to escaping as he is never able to do more than lean against the glass and try to push himself up, but I have heard of other tigers escaping so I wouldn't put it past them to escape if they really wanted out.

if I was you I wouldn't worry, maybe extend the rim of your tank with ducktape to make sure he can't escape again, it seems that a normal healthy tiger will on occasion see if he can get out like a "OH YEAH!?!?! I can break out of this joint anytime I want to!"-type of thing.
shmifty5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2010   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

All newts and salamanders are capable of escape. In my opinion, all setups for them must be absolutely 100% escape-proof. Think Alcatraz. You were lucky; many escapes are fatal. See
Caudata Culture Articles - Escape
Old 20th June 2010   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: obrowell has shown reliable knowledge

Two of mine regularly climb the plants attached to the back wall of their tank. I often find one of them resting at the top right hand corner of the tank, on top of the plant. He seemingly likes to chill out there! It amuses me greatly to watch this 'burrowing' species climb up the plants etc instead of burrowing in the deep substrate I have for him.
Old 25th June 2010   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: krapivnik is an unknown quantity at this point

My tiger salamander managed to get out once from a 4-liter ice-cream bucket (I found it in the basement 2 days later), and another time it escaped from a storage box (it went to a pile of moss I was keeping on the floor).

Sometimes I see it stand right on it's tail, and try to climb up the wall...
Click the image to open in full size.
krapivnik is offline   Reply With Quote