The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

I need help with my fire bellied newts!

This is a discussion on I need help with my fire bellied newts! within the Newt and Salamander Help forums, part of the Beginner Newt, Salamander, Axolotl & Help Topics category; Hi guys, I've got two Chinese fire belly Newts, and they aren't eating. I know it might be stress, but ...

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th May 2011   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: billybong60 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation I need help with my fire bellied newts!

Hi guys,

I've got two Chinese fire belly Newts, and they aren't eating. I know it might be stress, but I wanted to make sure.

Also one of them is laying eggs, so that could be the reason?

I'm not too sure about the feeding times, because they won't eat of my tweezers, but they east when I'm not looking.

Any help is accepted!

billybong60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2011   #2 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11
Default Re: I need help with my fire bellied newts!

How long have you had them? What is their setup like? What kind of food are you offering?

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2011   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Question Re: I need help with my fire bellied newts!

I've had them for about a week, I've got them in a medium tank that's got dechloronised water in, with rocks and plants. I feed them blood worms, and I tried to feed them crickets but they wouldn't accept them.

I think that they do eat sometimes when I'm not looking, because they're very shy.

Old 18th May 2011   #4 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

Give them some time to settle in. Try live food like little earthworms, or earthworm chunks.

This species is pretty notorious for being imported in terrible conditions, and then sold to unsuspecting buyers when they're in terrible shape. Sometimes it's a long road to get them back to healthy.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2011   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Thumbs up Re: I need help with my fire bellied newts!

Thanks very much! I think they're enjoying it more in the tank, I put a lot of leaves in there and more places to hide. And now I definitely know that they'r eating because I saw them eat!

Thanks so much man, you're the best!

Will/

Old 18th May 2011   #6 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 53
Comments: 10
Rep: evut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Nice to hear your newts are eating now.
Please spend some time reading all the articles that you can here and look through the forum for more information. This is the care sheet for your species: http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Cynops/C_orientalis.shtml
This way you will be able to understand the needs of your newts and create the best possible conditions for them.

evut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eating, newt

LinkBack